Kiln recommendation?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Elaine Smith

Kiln recommendation?

Post by Elaine Smith »

I'm preparing to purchase my first kiln. I will be using it to fuse and slump small bowls, plates, etc, to make some jewelry and would also love to do some drapes. The kilns that I am looking at are: paragon fusion 16, skutt firebox 14, and Olympic 146gfe. Any input/ recommendations would be very appreciated. Also recommendations as to where to purchase from?
Thanks!
JestersBaubles

Re: Kiln recommendation?

Post by JestersBaubles »

Personally, I would go with the Paragon Fusion 16, because it is bigger than the Skutt 14 and square rather than round like the Olympic. A round kiln won't hold as much as a square.

Paragon's are nice kilns (I have two Paragons and Skutt -- love all three).

Dana W.
Chris J

Post by Chris J »

I like my Olympic kiln. I would get a square one, no matter which company you go with.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

It depends what you are going to fuse. As everyone said, go with the Square kilns. The Olympic 145gfe comes in a square version.
The tradeoff on a 14 versus a 16 inch is fusing time. At 120 volt, 20 amps, the amount of heat put out is limited to what the line can put out. Thus the 16 will be slower than the 14.
If you are going to be fusing larger pieces, go with the 16. otherwise the 14s have plenty of room.
I have used all three kilns, and you will be happy with any of them.

Barry
Joe Wokovich

Post by Joe Wokovich »

The Jen Ken AFG 27 is nice as well as the AF3P. I have a GF8 from Olympic that is my favorite for big loads.
“If you tell me, I will forget.
If you show me, I will remember.
If you let me do it, I will understand."

And then tomorrow I can start all over again
Ron Evans

Post by Ron Evans »

I have just purchased a JenKen 15/6 which I like very much. If I had it to do again though I would probably try to get a bigger one. The controller is what sold me. Easy to use and the results have been great so far. Have fun! :)