Fusing with metal

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Ron Evans

Fusing with metal

Post by Ron Evans »

I have read that it is possible to fuse metal between two pieces of compatible glass. What type of metals can be used and what are specific procedures that must be adhered to? Thank you
Tony Smith

Re: Fusing with metal

Post by Tony Smith »

Gold leaf, silver leaf and foil, copper leaf, foil and wire... That's pretty much it.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Thickness is critical--very thin metal (leaf) may vaporize in the kiln, leaving you with a sorta-iridescent haze. Very thick metal (i.e., sheet, bar or rod) may expand and contract at different rates than the glass (depending on the glass and metal you choose), leading to cracks.

Steel--if you can find it thin enough, it goes blue, dark grey or black, usually. Copper foil will turn red, cyan or (rarely) black-red, depending on the level of heat and air it gets during firing. Mostly, it turns red. Silver looks more like a cold gold. Gold is gorgeous, but I like to put it under Coral Orange or Erbium Pink transparent to make the color look more saturated. (It's also beautiful under the amber tints)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Barry Gitelson

Post by Barry Gitelson »

What kinds of wire work best? Can I strip some phone/electric wires?
Barry Gitelson
Kona, HI

"Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" Hotel California - The Eagles

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Yep.strip away.brass works also. Rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

For smaller, jewelry type projects, there is also this interesting product called PMC (Precious Metal Clay) sheet that is fun to play around with, albeit expensive because it is thicker silver than leaf. It it really quite cool! http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H204849BS You can use shape punchers or carve out the shape you want.

You just have to be certain to fire the clay on its own, dedicated fiber shelf because if you fired it on your normal shelf, the silver residue left behind would actually react with certain glasses and turn them a nasty yellow.
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Ron Evans

Post by Ron Evans »

Thanks to all who responded. I will have to try several of those ideas.