burn treatment

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

BadExampleMan

burn treatment

Post by BadExampleMan »

When I was taking my first lessons from an artist a few years ago, she recommended a particular kind of burn ointment that glassworkers favored because it was good at preventing scarring. It was not something available off the shelf from Walgreen's or like that.

I remember she said you could get it at a compounding pharmacy or from a friendly veterinarian, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the stuff or what it contained.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

PS, enjoying the hell out of my new Skutt. I've got three art pieces so far that don't totally suck and now I'm working on some cabochons and charms.
Tracy Fries

Re: burn treatment

Post by Tracy Fries »

It sounds like silvadene - really good stuff, but I'm pretty sure you have to have a script to obtain it so that may not be what she was referring to.
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

I would bet what Tracy is referencing is what you are thinking about.

The more technical name is Silver Sulfadiazine. You may not have it by the other name in Israel.
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

The best burn treatment I have found is fresh aloe vera. I grow (and sometimes kill) a plant in my studio. Upon getting a burn I break a leaf off and smear it over the burn until the burn is less painful. It worked for a burn at 400C - several leaves over an hour and 4 weeks later the callus like skin came off and left un marked skin underneath.
Do not over water, as these are desert plants.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

Could it have been bag balm? That's something that vets have that doesn't require a prescription and is often used by humans for scrapes, burns, etc.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

Pretty sure it's Silverdene too. We use it on our race horses when they get scraps and bruises and any kind of burns from the tack.

We get a big jar from our vet and we have used it ourselves (I get an annual Turkey Day burn every year).

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
BadExampleMan

Post by BadExampleMan »

GuyKass wrote:I would bet what Tracy is referencing is what you are thinking about.

The more technical name is Silver Sulfadiazine. You may not have it by the other name in Israel.
That's the stuff! Thanks, everyone, for plugging my leaky memory.