Glass cooling

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Susanbuckler

Glass cooling

Post by Susanbuckler »

Hi
So, it's 8 PM and I have a slump cooling down in the kiln...temp is now 300. I have another slump ready to go in and would like to get it in the kiln before bed tonight. At what temp can I either remove the peep hole or prop open the kiln and if so, how much can it be opened? I'd like to have this cool a bit faster but of course I don't want to damage the integrity of the piece, a simple two layer 8 x 8. Thanks for the advice.
Susan Buckler
Woodstock, NY
Susanbuckler

Re: Glass cooling

Post by Susanbuckler »

I should have searched the newbie forum first....found the answer....at 500, can prop it open 1/4 inch
Susan Buckler
Woodstock, NY
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Susanbuckler wrote:I should have searched the newbie forum first....found the answer....at 500, can prop it open 1/4 inch
300 is more conservative.

The more you have invested in a piece, the more conservative you should be with handling and time schedules.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Susanbuckler

Post by Susanbuckler »

Thanks, Bert. Good advice about investment in a piece. It is still so new to me. I am eager to fire more pieces as I experiemnt with techniques and it is such a slow process. My Olympic Champ xl kiln is too small!
Susan Buckler
Woodstock, NY
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

At 300 i would vent it a tad but I would not open it until 100. Remember that the inside of the glass is hotter than the outside layer. If you take itmout at 100 i would wrap it in a towel for a couple of hours.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com