Fusing Trouble with Confetti

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

RachelM

Fusing Trouble with Confetti

Post by RachelM »

Hi All:

So branching out a little out of my normal cocoon of opals and stacked plates, I decided to do some work with confetti.

I first made a test piece about 3x3 with two clear layers of Bullseye Tekta and I put green and pink confetti in between. Although I had few bubbles, I really liked the way the confetti "popped out" and held onto it's color and I liked the overall look.

Then, thinking I will avoid the bubbles, I then used two layers of clear and laid the confetti out on top. The purple, the green and the white confetti all fused into the piece. The pink confetti fused partially and looks OK to the naked eye. But, when you run your hand across the plate, you can feel very sharp bumps and points. I would describe it as sort of looking like it has hives if you look close up. I also did a smaller piece as well with the same color scheme and the same problem happened with the pink confetti.

I don't think it is my fusing schedule since everything else fused as expected.

So

(1) Is there a known problem with this particlular color of confetti that I am using (BE Pink Opalescent, Confetti, Fusible, #000301)?

(2) Thoughts on how to fix this? :idea:
I was thinking using a layer of clear frit (fine/powder) and fusing it again. I would like to save the piece if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
Judd

Re: Fusing Trouble with Confetti

Post by Judd »

It could be that the pink devitrified a bit, which would explain the sharp points. I usually make my own confetti, and I sandwich it between sheets of clear glass. Clearn frit on top may work, but I bet it will make the confetti look wavy - which I think would be cool.
Susanbuckler

Post by Susanbuckler »

Judd,
How do you make confetti?
Susan Buckler
Woodstock, NY
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

I think if you look carefully, it is recommended to use a devitrification spray on pink opal confetti if it is not capped (with sheet or frit)
What you observe is the early stages of devitrification. This colour (In almost all formulations - Bullseye, S96, Float) requires prevention of devitrification.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Pink confetti almost always devitrifies when fired on top. You have to either use a devit spray or sift some clear powder on top before firing.
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

Brad Walker wrote:Pink confetti almost always devitrifies when fired on top. You have to either use a devit spray or sift some clear powder on top before firing.
Brad:

Do you think if I shift clear powder on it now and re-fuse, it will rectify the problem? I am thinking either clear powder over all of it or a piece of thin tekta glass? Do they make thin tekta glass even?

Also, other than reading every piece of literature out there, how does one find out about thing like this? Just by experimenting and word of mouth (via bulletin boards?)

Rachel
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

RachelM wrote:Do you think if I shift clear powder on it now and re-fuse, it will rectify the problem? I am thinking either clear powder over all of it or a piece of thin tekta glass? Do they make thin tekta glass even?
Yes, if you shift clear powder and re-fuse, it should get rid of the problem. Clear powder over everything.

There is no such thing as thin Tekta, but even if there were clear powder is preferable. Just make sure it's a thin layer, don't pile the powder on thick.
Also, other than reading every piece of literature out there, how does one find out about thing like this? Just by experimenting and word of mouth (via bulletin boards?)
Well, even if you read every piece of literature out there, you'd still run into things like this that you either hadn't read or you'd forgotten reading. Experimentation and word of mouth is about all you have. (And consider yourself lucky -- those of us who learned without the internet had to rely on experimentation alone.)
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yeah!
And walk 5 miles to school through snow with holes in our shoes.
Uphill both ways . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Brock wrote:Yeah!
Uphill both ways . . .
Only 5 miles? And you got to wear shoes?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brad Walker wrote:
Brock wrote:Yeah!
Uphill both ways . . .
Only 5 miles? And you got to wear shoes?
Hand-me-down shoes. I got my sisters pink toe shoes.
Caused me some trouble in gym class . . .
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

you'd still run into things like this that you either hadn't read or you'd forgotten reading.
Ha! The (recent) story of my life. So much to learn, so easy to forget!
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

And the freezing wind was blowing so hard we had to walk backwards both coming and going.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

David Jenkins wrote:And the freezing wind was blowing so hard we had to walk backwards both coming and going.
On our hands....