Super Glue Question

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

JenniferB

Super Glue Question

Post by JenniferB »

I just glued a couple of black noodles as part of a decoration to the surface of a Bullseye rainbow iridescent plate I plan to fuse. I used a gel superglue and unfortunately I moved one of the noodles a bit and the glue smeared. Now the glue is showing on the surface of the plate. Will it burn off completely or should I try to remove it before firing? If the answer is to remove it, what should I use?

Jennifer
Susanbuckler

Re: Super Glue Question

Post by Susanbuckler »

Gel superglue is bad stuff...does not fully burn off. I do not know what you should use to remove it but you should remove it. The gel can leave gunk on the glass. I think there's info on super glue if you search the forum
Use the regular super glue. I made this mistake thinking the gel would be less drippy and easier to use.
Susan
Susan Buckler
Woodstock, NY
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Susan is right.....i hate the gel. Students have brought it in and it always seems to leave a mark. Maybe can you add a decorative element over the glue spot to cover it?
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Susan and Laurie,
Many thanks for your responses. The gel super glue is, indeed, nasty stuff and I won't forget this lesson quickly! I did a bit of on-line research and most information I read suggested using acteone, or boiling water, so I rubbed the smudge with a q-tip soaked in acetone and rubbed the super glue off as well as I could. The iridescent glass surface looks clean now but I guess I'll know for sure if I got it all off after I've fired the piece. One odd finding - even when the super glue didn't actually smear, it seemed to "fume" out beyond the piece I was glueing and leave a shadow on the base glass.
Jennifer
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Yep, I've made the gel-superglue mistake too. Stay away from it.

But the regular kind is fine (I buy it at the dollar store) and it does leave a fumed area prior to firing but I've never had it not burn off completely. I had some opal ornaments over the holidays that were all glued up with superglue. Decided to change them and literally pried/scraped off the glass accents and re-glued new ones, all without cleaning off the excess glue; turned out perfectly. Acetone is the easiest method to remove superglue but I was too impatient.

I've also used the scotch tape method and had it burn off, even when taping elements on and then firing face down (with the tape against the shelf).
katesaunders

Post by katesaunders »

Elmers Glue does the trick for me, just try to use the smallest amount possible. No need to water down.