Glassline Black

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

susanmozingo

Glassline Black

Post by susanmozingo »

Hello,
I have made single layer snowmen ornaments using black frit for the coal accents. I am only tack fusing the ornaments to 1350 degrees F.
I tried using Glassline Black instead of the black frit but the result was not a dark black. I cannot raise the tack temperature as I am happy with the result. What else is available to use to obtain a dark black result at this temperature? Thank you.
tbach

Re: Glassline Black

Post by tbach »

Fuse Master low-fire glass enamels cure at 1200°, and the black is cold and intense. I use it frequently to screenprint designs on glass pieces . . . ornaments, for example. It is possible to hand paint with fuse master enamels, but requires more of an artist hand, I think - and that I don't have. I have also been successful using fuse master black enamels with vinyl resists (from plotter machine) and hand-cut stencils using clear vinyl (like shelf liner). I use an electric stylus (like a wood burning stylus), burnish edges, and then apply enamels with small foam applicators - dabbing up and down to spread the paint and level it. With resist or vinyl, the stencil must be removed while paint is still wet. Results can easily be modified with exacto knife or razor blade before firing after enamel has completely dried - preheated 300° kiln for around 15-20 minutes . . . or left on top of kiln while some other masterpiece is being fired.

Fuse Master low-fire enamels will survive your 1350° tack fuse.

Fuse Master also makes high-fire enamels with a cure range beginning at 1300° and continuing up to full fuse temps.

I get my Fuse Master enamels from Gil and Carmen and Fusion Headquarters - they have a wealth of information on the use of these products and offer super support!
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Most high fire Black enamels mature about 1400 degrees when heated up rapidly (as I do) . They start to mature lower but go to glass about there. The way around that is to fire somewhat longer. Slowing down your ramp in the final stage can also help. Our larger kilns mature around 1350 since they heat up slower.
We sell black paint (premixed enamels) and have done a great deal of experimenting with them. As best I can tell, there are about 4 different variations of high fire black pigmentation. Each has its own properties, but all require about 1400 to glass over as part of a standard small kiln firing.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Like most issues, it's complicated. Chances are the number one issue is density of application. If you get enough pigment on there, it will darken to the level of opaque. A light coating will yield gray or thin black. With most paints, the mixture determines the density of application. A thicker mixture will deposit more pigment. Glassline is typically a thin one. Another other factor is that some colors can be over fired. This will also thin out the look. There are colors designed to mature around 1050, 1250, or 1400. Occasionally, overfiring doesn't hurt, but often it does.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I make single-layer snowmen ornaments too. I use pre-fired black frit balls for the eyes, and tiny dots of Barry Kaiser's black paint for the mouths. Mine are only fired to about 1325°.