Questions for first kiln use

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

krccpht

Questions for first kiln use

Post by krccpht »

I got a Jen-Ken AF3P Fuse Box 6/4.5 Flex kiln from Kiln Frog. My first kiln. I started out using a Fuseworks microwave kiln.

It came with a little bit of "high fire kiln wash" and it says to apply to kiln shelf (which I already knew to do), and to the kiln bottom. Is this correct? Why would kiln wash need to be applied to the kiln bottom if the posts/feet are used and a kiln washed shelf on top?

Also, I plan on using casting (jewelry) molds and for some reason my shelf wasn't in my box so I will have to have Kiln Frog deal with Jen-Ken this week about that, but anyway, do I put my casting mold on top of a shelf, or just on top of the feet/posts?

I can't find much information on this kiln so if anyone has any tips/additional info, or links that might help me, feel free to share!

also, any links or suggestions as to what firing schedule to try out for my first time with one of these molds?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Questions for first kiln use

Post by Brad Walker »

krccpht wrote:It came with a little bit of "high fire kiln wash" and it says to apply to kiln shelf (which I already knew to do), and to the kiln bottom. Is this correct? Why would kiln wash need to be applied to the kiln bottom if the posts/feet are used and a kiln washed shelf on top?
The reason for applying kiln wash to the floor of the kiln is so that if you accidentally drop some glass on the floor or if you have a kiln disaster and glass runs off the shelf it won't harm the bottom of the kiln. You only need to reapply every year or so.
Also, I plan on using casting (jewelry) molds and for some reason my shelf wasn't in my box so I will have to have Kiln Frog deal with Jen-Ken this week about that, but anyway, do I put my casting mold on top of a shelf, or just on top of the feet/posts?
Either will work. Most times, I put a couple of short posts on top of the shelf and set the molds on top of that. This allows for air circulation beneath the mold. But most molds fire fine just on the shelf anyway, so if you don't have the posts you'll usually be ok.
also, any links or suggestions as to what firing schedule to try out for my first time with one of these molds?
http://creativeparadise.biz/glass/tutor ... t-tutorial
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

Thanks Brad! Is glass separator the same thing as kiln wash, and is primer also the same thing?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

krccpht wrote:Thanks Brad! Is glass separator the same thing as kiln wash, and is primer also the same thing?
Yes, they're pretty much terms for the same thing.
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

and batt wash is the ceramics version
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Mike Griffin

Post by Mike Griffin »

I've had a couple of small pieces of glass adhere to my kiln washed kiln floor. The trouble is, the floor isn't as smooth as a kiln shelf and the pits can grab hold of molten glass. I'm seriously considering laying down 2-3 mm thick ceramic fibre paper on the floor of the kiln once I start doing pot melts and the like.
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

When something does come out quite right, do you typically try to first increase hold times, or increase temperature? I used the guide on that link that was posted above. My mold was similar but had more "slots" in it. They weren't quite "right". Also, can I re-fire these in the mold to correct, or should I just start with a fresh batch?
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Mike Griffin wrote:I've had a couple of small pieces of glass adhere to my kiln washed kiln floor. The trouble is, the floor isn't as smooth as a kiln shelf and the pits can grab hold of molten glass. I'm seriously considering laying down 2-3 mm thick ceramic fibre paper on the floor of the kiln once I start doing pot melts and the like.
For my two smaller kilns, I have used 1/8" fiber paper on the floor. I've had the same pieces in there for as long as I've had the kilns.

I haven't done that for the "big" kiln yet -- that's a lot of fiber paper! :)

Dana W.
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

When something does come out quite right, do you typically try to first increase hold times, or increase temperature? I used the guide on that link that was posted above. My mold was similar but had more "slots" in it. They weren't quite "right". Also, can I re-fire these in the mold to correct, or should I just start with a fresh batch? They were a little bumpy and not smooth on top, like the glass didn't "melt" all the way, but it was fully fused.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

krccpht wrote:When something does come out quite right, do you typically try to first increase hold times, or increase temperature? I used the guide on that link that was posted above. My mold was similar but had more "slots" in it. They weren't quite "right". Also, can I re-fire these in the mold to correct, or should I just start with a fresh batch? They were a little bumpy and not smooth on top, like the glass didn't "melt" all the way, but it was fully fused.
It depends :). Often, if it is a full-fuse piece I will increase temp. Of course, I've also been know to increase time. :mrgreen: If it's a slump, I usually increase time, though occasionally, I increase heat.

It really depends upon the piece. Sorry, not very helpful, I know!

Dana