Basic Wine bottle slumping schedule

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

docweathers

Basic Wine bottle slumping schedule

Post by docweathers »

I have a Skutt 1227 electric kiln with computer controller. I've been using it for cone 6 ceramics but would like to give it a try for slumping glass. I have a slumping mold and a suitable bottle. Since I have no experience with glass, other than sticking someone on the side of pots to watch it dribble down in glaze firing, I need a generic wine bottle slumping schedule. Where can I find such a thing?

Also, it would be nice to be able to mix glass slumping with my bisque firing. What will happen if I run glass up to about 1800°F, which is bisque temperature for my clay? I know this is a little hotter than is normally used but what would be the outcome?

Thanks

Larry
Larry

Lawrence Weathers
Spokane WA

Thrown ceramics, welded art and now glass.
bothofushk

Re: Basic Wine bottle slumping schedule

Post by bothofushk »

Hi Larry,,go to Creative Paradise and look at their wine bottle schedule.... try it and then adjust for your kiln..

hope this helps ya..
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

There is a tutorial section of this website that has a section on bottle slumping. Link at bottom of this page: http://www.warmglass.com/tutorial

If you fire your bottles up to pottery firing temperatures, be sure to kiln wash the floor of your kiln first because there is a good chance the bottles will melt and run off the kiln shelf. 1500F is more than hot enough to flatten a wine bottle, anything higher is overkill.
Tammy Macdonald

Post by Tammy Macdonald »

Another handy bottle and recycled glass site is: http://glasswithapast.com/