haze left after stuck kiln wash is removed

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

lorimendenhall

haze left after stuck kiln wash is removed

Post by lorimendenhall »

this is probably an easy one for you experts... I hope this can be fixed.... I made a flat piece with translucent glass (clear layer on bottom). there was lots of kiln wash stuck to the back which I effectively removed soaking in vinegar. but, there is a haze left where some of the kiln wash was. this ruins my piece and I am hoping there is a way to fix it... is there? would re-fusing do the trick? thank you so much for your help!!!!
Stephen Richard

Re: haze left after stuck kiln wash is removed

Post by Stephen Richard »

I think you have to remove that layer by grinding or sandblasting.
You also need to think about why the kiln wash stuck. Common reasons are: firing too hot or too long, firing a second time to tack fusing temperatures or above on the same kiln wash.
Last edited by Stephen Richard on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Stephen Richard wrote:I think you have to remove that layer by grinding or sandblasting.
You also need to think about why the kiln wash stuck. Common reasons are: affirming too hot or too long, firing a second time to tack fusing temperatures or above on the same kiln wash.
The kilnwash can be partially incorporated into the surface of the glass, so that it's actually IN the glass. If that happens, you have to remove the top layer of glass to get it off. Re-fusing without grinding the stuff off will only seal it into the glass.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

many thanks for your input! I will try to grind off that bottom layer. since I'm taking a class t CBS in October maybe they will let me stick it in their sandblaster.
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

still getting this problem. it doesn't happen on the first fire of fresh wash but it does on second firings. I didn't think I had to reapply each time. I am going to 1490 and holding for 16 minutes. I realize that's a lot but my kiln is small and if I don't hold for a long time I don't get a full fuse. any suggestions?
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Please post your firing schedule. We need that to best help you understand and troubleshoot what's causing the hazing.
Sharol
linn keller

Post by linn keller »

lorimendenhall wrote:still getting this problem. it doesn't happen on the first fire of fresh wash but it does on second firings. I didn't think I had to reapply each time. I am going to 1490 and holding for 16 minutes. I realize that's a lot but my kiln is small and if I don't hold for a long time I don't get a full fuse. any suggestions?
lori,
you may have just answered your own question - i think the reuse may be (at least part of) your problem...kiln wash, i've always understood, is a one-time use at fusing temps. kiln wash on molds for use at slumping temps is totally different - no need to reapply for numerous uses. the difference is the temp to which the kiln wash is subjected. if you remove and rewash the old after every "fuse" firing i think you'll likely be ok.
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Too hot......try a little lower with that hold. Try 1460 with a 30 min hold. We do not reapply kiln wash for every full fuse......only after it starts to break down after 3-4 firings.
Just my thoughts!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

I will definitely try the lower temp and longer hold. if that doesn't work I will just reapply each time. thank you all for your help.