Sample Firing Schedule?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

anap21383

Sample Firing Schedule?

Post by anap21383 »

Hi, I just purchased a Caldera XL kiln. I am new to fusing glass. I've taken a couple classes but the classes didn't include how to use the kiln. Ive created a few pendants but have not fired them yet. I was wondering if anyone has this kiln and maybe could share a sample firing schedule? I am not sure how to start, how long to expect it to take, how hot to set it etc.. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
linn keller

Re: Sample Firing Schedule?

Post by linn keller »

Hi!
You'll find lots of useful info on this website. Not everything is of equal value, though, so a great way to evaluate any info, is to start learning from a standard of excellence like the "warm glass" book written by brad walker, who runs this website. You can order it here. It will introduce you to technology, terminology, techniques, and lots more, and is a great stepping stone for becoming a successful glassie. Once you have the basics you can build from there.
Have fun!
Linn
linn in deep deep south texas
linn keller

Post by linn keller »

hi again,
i should have thought to mention that on the bullseye site there is a tremendous amount on info under "education, methods and ideas". start by readings the technotes which include both kiln info and firing info, including "heat and glass" that will likely answer lots of your questions. this readily available info is a great resource. even if you end up using spectrum the info will be useful.
ciao,
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

Check out Fusedglass.org as well.

A treasure trove of information.

Have fun.

Rachel M
anap21383

Post by anap21383 »

Thank you all very much for the information!
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Check out the Tutorial on my site (see below)
Simple schedules for pendants.
Schedules are perfect for the 8X8 Caldera XL

Barry