Do I Need Lid Assist?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

tgotch

Do I Need Lid Assist?

Post by tgotch »

Researching a new kiln, so I have lots of questions :D

The kilns I am looking at are top load ovals (e.g Evenheat 2541, Skutt GM 1414, Olympic 3014GFE).

These kilns have an option for a "lid assist" to help with opening the lid.

Is this a must have? How much do these lids weigh?
Barbel

Re: Do I Need Lid Assist?

Post by Barbel »

Unless you are a big, strong guy or macho woman, you really want a lift assist!
Wish I had one but my Olympic is a bit older and cannot be modified!--- So we are working on the counter weight idea, a big hassle when your kiln sits in the middle of the garage (overhead is the space where the door rolls in, distance to the wall is also not ideal, but... we will get there!
Barbel
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

If you get the GM1414, definitely get the lid lifter. The big ovals are apparently difficult to hinge, and tend to hinge in the center back panel so that the wings kinda flap free. Even if you're pretty careful to use both hands to open them (and yes, they're kinda heavy), it's easy to lift them unevenly. That can add to the wear and tear on lid and hinges. The lid lifter evens things out.

I didn't get one, wish I had (as I head into a new lid replacement).
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Marty

Post by Marty »

You can make your own "lift assist" with pulleys and wire rope and a bucket or 2 of sand. Or you could get the one that the kiln manufacturers offer.
The first costs $20 and you have to put a couple of hooks in the ceiling.
Marty

Post by Marty »

BTW I had a bad experience with the lid replacement for the Evenheat oval- elements falling out of the grooves on the first firing and disinterested customer service. I'd go for Skutt or Olympic next time.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I have the Skutt GM1414, and have the lid assist. I'm glad I have it -- it's a heavy lid (and kiln!)

Love the kiln, though. It's been great. Though it takes a LOT of glass to fill it up!

Dana
tgotch

Post by tgotch »

Marty wrote:You can make your own "lift assist" with pulleys and wire rope and a bucket or 2 of sand. Or you could get the one that the kiln manufacturers offer.
The first costs $20 and you have to put a couple of hooks in the ceiling.
Good idea! I think I can rig up something like this.

Thanks
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

I also have the Skutt 1414. It was a classroom model at Glass Expo and came with the lid assist. Once it made it home and was set up, I was absolutely SHOCKED at how heavy the lid was! It was a two hand/arm/bend and lift with your legs kind of operation. All I could think was what an inconvenience it would be to try and monitor anything in progress! Fortunately for me, the springs had been attached wrong, and it was a quick fix to get that lid assist properly working - now it is effortless to lift the lid! It's easier to open than the lid on my 14" clam shell.

I'm all for saving a $ anywhere I can, but with a pulley system, how difficult is it to quickly monitor work - like say, a drape in progress?
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I am not a "big strong guy" or a "macho woman" and I have been using a 2540 for 12 years and never felt the need for a lifter. They are heavier than a bag of potatoes but not to the point you need to struggle. I would not say they are worth the expense.
"The Glassman"
toolfan88

Post by toolfan88 »

Hey I went through a similar debate when i ordered my skutt GM1018. I ordered it last week and it has not arrived yet. my other kiln is a small skutt. I had two issues with it (I did get it for free). I called skutt and the way they took care of it was perfect each time. They encouraged me to call and ask questions when ever i had one about the kiln. So when i was looking at ordering a new kiln after collecting data online I called skutt. We went over a lid assist. The gentleman was very honest and told me unless i was getting a kiln that had a heating element in the lid or the oval kiln id be ok without a lid assist. Im a 25 year old strong dude. But he did stress if I was thinking about the oval kiln he recommended it. Since you are thinking about the oval skutt id suggest spending the extra bucks. This all happened last week. I ordered my kiln tuesday. should be here in about 2 weeks. I cant wait! hope my experience helps.