Control bubbles

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

lmartine

Control bubbles

Post by lmartine »

Hi,

So far so good, I do not have a lot of bubbles in my fused blanks. But I kind of like them... under certain circumstances, of course (e.g., part of the design). I read that there are products that allow you to control the size of the bubbles, their location, etc. I did not find any info on this board wrt this technique.

Can someone provide a link (or a brief explanation) to give me an idea how this is done?

Cheers!

Lucie
Judd

Re: Control bubbles

Post by Judd »

You can use a rough textured glass for random bubbles. Some use baking soda, but I've found it can look scummy in the glass. I have had luck using aluminum foil and copper leaf, but the metals will also color the glass.
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

there is bubble powder but I never tried it.
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

you can used reeded or accordion glass with texture side facing each other and fire. That will give you a gridded rhythm of bubbles.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

clear stringer criss-crossed over each other.

Dana
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

As mentioned, bicarb soda mixture can work. I've either applied with airbrush then removed sections once dried and have also used an ear bud to apply,try and keep mixture mixed. One way to rough up the glass is to use a diamond bit on a Dremel or similar tool, making sure to scrub worked areas. Only did a few test tiles using this method but can say that there was control. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

image.jpg
JestersBaubles wrote:clear stringer criss-crossed over each other.

Dana
Ditto :)

If you place them further apart you can get more than one bubble. I was just testing out the process.
Attachments
image.jpg
Havi

Post by Havi »

Hi,
I am very excited about bubbles. I consider them a beautiful contribution to the composition of a piece, if planned properly. Actually right now I am planning two pieces which will include bubbles. Controlled bubbles, in limited areas inside pieces.

However, instead of using stringers, which are expensive , I simpley cut glass 'stringers' and use them to create the bubbles.
If you want a more detailed explanation of how to do it - check BE tip sheet or Technotes dealing with volume controll.

Good luck,

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I'm with you Havi when it comes to bubbles. Have just set up kiln to have a go at bigger bubble blocks, have gone conservative for the moment with the schedule until I get a better idea of maximum wall thicknesses once bubble is formed. Really want to understand best temp to control rise of crown with time. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Havi

Post by Havi »

Haydo wrote:I'm with you Havi when it comes to bubbles. Have just set up kiln to have a go at bigger bubble blocks, have gone conservative for the moment with the schedule until I get a better idea of maximum wall thicknesses once bubble is formed. Really want to understand best temp to control rise of crown with time. peace, haydo
Thanks, Haydo

I shall attach later a photo of a piece with controlled bubbles

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com