Working With Silver Foil?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

RachelM

Working With Silver Foil?

Post by RachelM »

So, I would really like to work with silver foil and I have some that I bought a while ago from a Bullseye Distributor. I was going to do something along the lines of the Bullseye's "a riot of effects" where you use silver foil, french vanilla, and some of the reactive blues. Those of you who know me KNOW these are my favorite colors.

BUT, I am scared to do this because as I troll through the old postings on using silver foil, I see many comments about this ruining the kiln shelf (I will be using a dedicated kiln shelf for this), about how it takes 5-6 firings for the kiln shelf to be rid of the foil ghost (again, since the shelf is dedicated, I can fire it to clean it when I have some extra time/kiln space). But, then I read how the silver can RUIN your kiln as well as the shelf. :(

So, for those people who have used silver foil, am I in danger of ruining my kiln? Ideas, suggestions, comments to make this easier?

Thanks to all in advance.

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
Brock

Re: Working With Silver Foil?

Post by Brock »

You are in absolutely no danger of ruining your kiln. If you fire silver foil directly on the shelf it can leave a stain that can be transmitted to other glasses fired on that shelf. If you fire it on a piece of glass, covered with other glass, or not, no problem.
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

Thanks Brock!

My game plan is to fire two layers of 3mm glass; one clear layer and one french vanilla layer. Then, layer on bits of silver foil and then a sprinkle of coarse frit in a reactionary color. So, I do not plan on capping it. Was worried about fumes and stains!

I will proceed this weekend! Very excited! Love the reaction that is on the Bullseye website.....

Perhaps I need to go back and find that thread that say it will ruin my kiln and "don't do it"......quite scary! :shock:

Rachel :)
imaglassydiva@aol.com
Glass Fever

Post by Glass Fever »

I did that Bullseye project you're talking about, and it came out great! No problems with my kiln afterwards. I've even fired silver clay in my kiln with no problem. Go for it, you are going to love it.
pshash

Post by pshash »

Check out Richard La Londe's glass fusing book. He has quite a few projects in it using silver foil.