super easy question about priming a mold

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

lorimendenhall

super easy question about priming a mold

Post by lorimendenhall »

dumb question but I've heard differing info... how many uses can you get out of a ceramic mold primed with Hotline Primo Primer? thanks!
Sharol

Re: super easy question about priming a mold

Post by Sharol »

It depends upon the temperature your slumping at, the shape of the mould and how well you protect the mould surface from damage while not in use. A well cared for, kiln-washed mould can handle many firings. There's no absolute number. Just inspect the surface for imperfections before each use and fire at the lowest temperature that gets the job done.

Sharol
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

thanks for your reply. I've been doing a few per coating so I guess I'll just keep doing that for now.
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

You should be able to get many firings from a good coating, especially with the shallower moulds.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

lorimendenhall wrote:dumb question but I've heard differing info... how many uses can you get out of a ceramic mold primed with Hotline Primo Primer? thanks!
Primo is supposedly one-time use. If I valued the mold or the piece, I don't think I would push it, especially if going to fusing temps (which is often when you use Primo).

2 cents,
Dana W.