Help putting frit in mold

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Shelley Lewis

Help putting frit in mold

Post by Shelley Lewis »

I want to try putting a solid color frit and a little dichroic frit in a jewelry mold (earrings and pendants). I've watched videos online about slightly mounding the glass in the center, but I can't find info on how to mix two colors of frit. Do I put the solid on the bottom and sprinkle the dichroic on top? Mix the two first, then place in mold? Thanks for any advice!
Valerie Adams

Re: Help putting frit in mold

Post by Valerie Adams »

I'd put it in a little jar and shake it up.
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

if it's a mold you are working upside down. depending on the look you want you could approach it different ways. when I make molded dragonflies I strategically place the dichro pieces where I want them and then fill up with non-dichro frit. if the dichro frit you're using is clear then I think mixing it up is a great option too. if the dichro frit is on black then you will loose a good portion of the effect since when it's upside down it will just look black and not dichro. I'd strategically place those.
Susanbuckler

Post by Susanbuckler »

Shelley
I've thought about doing this too
what kind of molds are you using?
Susan
Susan Buckler
Woodstock, NY
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Susan,
I'm going to try a mini square jewelry mold I found at delphiglass.com. I'm brand new to fusing, so wish me luck! :D
Thanks for the advice everyone!
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

lorimendenhall wrote:if it's a mold you are working upside down.
Not necessarily. Some of the pendant molds you are working "right side up" :mrgreen: For instance, http://www.delphiglass.com/glass-molds/ ... welry-mold

You'd only be working upside down if it were a mold that had embossing/relief on the bottom surface.

Dana