How the heck do I read the measurements on a circle cutter?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Shelley Lewis

How the heck do I read the measurements on a circle cutter?

Post by Shelley Lewis »

I've received my first circle cutter but it came with NO directions. I feel comfortable knowing how to actually cut the circle, but not how to set up the diameter for the cutting blade. The measurements on the arm are in mm, but the first marking is 6. It is then marked 7,8,9,10 and then repeats 1-9 and then 20. The first circle I want to cut is 5.25 inches diameter. Can someone please explain where to set the cutting blade? Seems like such an easy thing, but I find it confusing! ](*,)
Shelley Lewis

Re: How the heck do I read the measurements on a circle cutt

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Ok, I finally figured it out! I'll leave this post up just in case another newbie needs help, so please feel free to reply!
Marty

Post by Marty »

I don't bother with those markings, I turn the thing over and use a ruler from the center of the pivot to the wheel.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

It depends upon the cutter. I have a crummy cheapo something or another that I can't figure out how to set up for the life of me (it also moves when you cut circles). And I have a lovely Silberschnitt that is easy to read/set up, stays put, and I get perfect circles every time. With this cutter, which is marked in both mm & inches, you move the cutting head to the mark for the number you want on the "inside" edge. That probably doesn't make sense :P .

o---------------------| |------------
Center ^ Inside edge of head -- line that edge up with the value you want.
point

Every time I use the Silberschnitt cutter, I kiss a German :mrgreen: (my husband )

Dana W.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Shelley Lewis wrote:I've received my first circle cutter but it came with NO directions. I feel comfortable knowing how to actually cut the circle, but not how to set up the diameter for the cutting blade. The measurements on the arm are in mm, but the first marking is 6. It is then marked 7,8,9,10 and then repeats 1-9 and then 20. The first circle I want to cut is 5.25 inches diameter. Can someone please explain where to set the cutting blade? Seems like such an easy thing, but I find it confusing! ](*,)
5.25" is 133.35mm or 13.33cm
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brock

Post by Brock »

I have found the simplest way to use these circle cutters is to draw a pencil line on a piece of paper. Place the CC in the center of the line and gently "score" the paper. Measure carefully between the score lines and adjust until perfect . . .
judith

Post by judith »

What Brock said. Then you're certain it will cut the exact size you need.
judith
NEW Spring 2014 session of classes on line.......Nathan Sandberg, Richard Parrish, Martha Pfanschmidt and more!
http://www.vitrumstudio.com
http://www.judithconwayglass.com
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

yep like they said. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

An alternative with the silberschnitt is to. Mark a cross at the centre of your circle. Measure your radius and mark it at one point on the glass (measured from the centre of the cross). Place the four marks on the central pivot part of the cutter, use the suction cup to secure. Then extend the cutter head until the wheel is in line withe the radius mark. Secure the head to the bar and score. This way you do not need the marks on the bar, which will wear away anyway over time
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/