SandBlaster Gloves

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

GlassCat

SandBlaster Gloves

Post by GlassCat »

Whoo-Hoo. I finally got a sandblaster. Loving it but I have really small hands and was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a smaller size glove to fit my bench top Cyclone SandBlaster. I looked online but don't see any sizes listed. I am hoping there is something I can do so I can better hold onto my small pieces. I am mostly blasting small pieces to be used in jewelry so the pieces are a bout 2 x 2 inches. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Carol
Marty

Re: SandBlaster Gloves

Post by Marty »

Here's a tip from Margaret Neher (from whom I got my first blast cabinet). She was doing fine detail work and needed more sensitivity so she cut the sleeves off a nylon jacket (elastic cuffs) and put those in the glove holes. Then she just wore rubber kitchen gloves inside the sleeves. It's not a quick exit but it works.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Kitchen gloves are the best, especially if you're trying to hold onto a small piece. I always wear them in the walk-in booth and have lately been using them in the blast box. That happened because one of the built-in sleeves with the rubber glove ends fell out and unless I find a small trained spider monkey to reinstall it from the inside it will stay out. I found the suck power of the dust collector stopped dust from drifting out the hole. The good grit is heavy enough to drop down and the dust gets sucked out. None seems to be escaping.

I'll probably tape some heavy plastic over the hole, cut a cross in it and carry on. The glove with the ground wire is still in place so I guess I'm half safe. :shock:

The tech. schools here mostly have cabinets with strips of rubber hanging in front (like a fly curtain). You can poke your hands though anywhere. Jen
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

Thanks, I am reluctant to cut a hole in my brand new gloves. Was hoping to find a replacement in a smaller size but guess not. I will keep plugging away with what I have til I get frustrated enough to cut the dang things off. #-o

Carol
williamslaybaugh

Post by williamslaybaugh »

The gloves in the sandblasting cabinet should be held in with large ring clamps. You can simple unscrew them and remove the big rubber gloves and clamp the jacket sleeves and dishwasher gloves in there place. No need to cut holes, and if the dishwasher gloves don't work for you, you can put them back. I've been looking at sandblasting gloves recently as well and for the $30+ shipping I could get some nice jacket sleeves at goodwill for that. Machine washable as well.
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

Thanks William, I will look at that. That would be a great fix.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

William, it seems that the ring clamps are mounted from the inside, but I'll have another look. Thanks, Jen
williamslaybaugh

Post by williamslaybaugh »

Marty should get the gold star, I'm just passing on some technical knowledge. Yes Buttercup the clamps are on the inside, and hose clamp might be a more descriptive name. It should only take a screwdriver to loosen them.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I'm afraid of getting irretrievably stuck in the little door if I try to put it back from the inside. :?

Taking the flange off the outside and pulling the sleeve and hose clamp through the hole it might be possible to reassemble it and remount the flange. Not sure if the flange with the sleeve and hose clamp around it will pass back through the hole. Will have a look at that tomorrow. Thanks, Jen
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

ok....I am going to approach the problem from the other view....not changing out the gloves.

If your small pieces of jewelry are flying about because they are too small to hold in the big gloves, stick the individual pieces to a strip of duct (duck?) tape.
You can tape a bunch of pieces on a long piece of tape. Take tape into sandblaster and hold strip of tape. Sandblast one side and the edges then reposition items on another piece of tape (you might get away with using the same piece of tape) and sandblast on the other side.

I learned this at Helios's Intermediate Bootcamp last summer. Hope It helps!

Rachel :D :D :D
imaglassydiva@aol.com
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

Whoa Rachel, genius!! Thanks so much, will try that this week, it should work like a charm. =D>

Carol