Can you recommend a glass grinder for a newbie?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Shelley Lewis

Can you recommend a glass grinder for a newbie?

Post by Shelley Lewis »

I'm looking for a good grinder in the lower to mid-price range. I'm brand new to glass fusing, so I don't want to invest $1500, but I don't want to buy a cheap one that may only last a short time. Also, I don't have a water source in my studio. I've looked at some grinders where you pour the water into a chamber. This seems convenient for my situation, but maybe they all work this way??? Also, I only have 120v available. Thanks for any and all advice :D
beninfl

Re: Can you recommend a glass grinder for a newbie?

Post by beninfl »

http://www.amazon.com/Gryphon-Gryphette ... B0063MFINS

I picked mine up for $79.99 locally. It's got a more powerful motor than the Glastar ones in the same price range. The disadvantage to this grinder, is that the surface top is small. However. easily fixed by mounting it level in your workbench. :-) I'm really happy with mine and it sure didnt break the bank.

WHATEVER YOU DO -- DONT buy an Inland. They love to leak water into the motors and die on you. I've replaced 3 of them this year and finally said the hell with it.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

You do not specify your needs. Glastar makes several decent products...Edge grinding is the most basic .. then disc grinders offers additional opportunities.
Do some online research!
"The Glassman"
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Well, I guess I need to know what all the possibilities are. I'm a newbie! The only thing I've ever done with a grinder is edge grinding in my fusing class. What else do you do with it??? I have researched online, and am asking the pros because it's very confusing.
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

I am a relative newbie. Bought a Gryphette and it meets my basic grinding needs, but I don't grind much... the price is low and it does the job.
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

I have two grinders. Both relative cheap at purchase time 10 or more years ago. Rarely use them now as I opt to finish edges on my wet belt sander (WBS) from Covingtonhttp://www.covington-engineering.com/sa ... unted.html. Use the grinders when my cut is poor and extra, quick glass removal is required. Bought my very used WBS on eBay for ~$100; the belts included were worth that and now I see that the motor is probably worth more than that! I use a hand-pumped water spritzer to wet the belts as I work as I have no water supply in my shop; never use a WBS dry as the dust is bad on the lungs and dispurses all over so it is not just an immediate issue. A sponge soaks up the water and glass sludge effectively; never clean the sponge in a plumbed drain as it will cost $$$ to get the drain cleared!
Jerry
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

This is off topic but a great way to save $$$ when starting fusing or experimenting on a technique: use non-tested glass or non-standard runs of tested glass called 'Saturday Glass' or 'Fusers Reserve' or some other designation. Just be aware that non-tested glass can only be used on itself from the same sheet of glass unless you test for compatibility (which isn't a bad skill to learn anyway).
Jerry
seachange

Post by seachange »

I would also recommend the Gryphon/Gryphete. It is a real workhorse.

Mine is 9 years old, and I use it constantly. For jewelry production and for plates.

To round off the corners of square pieces, to seam the edges, and to grind off any imperfections resulting from glass cutting.

Also have an inland flat lap (bought 5 years after the Gryphette). This is a small disk grinder (mine has 6" disks, but now they come with 8" disks), useful also, but in my work the Gryphette is the one to go to for 90% of my grinding needs.

I buy the Twofers (spelling from memory) grinding heads. Use a bit of vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the grinder shaft before attaching the grinder head, and you are good to go.

Both grinders do not need an external water source. The inland disk grinder has a water container and a plastic tube directing the water to the disk. It works well.

The gryphette comes with a sponge that is placed just behind the griding head. One pours a bit of water on the sponge and into the tray, to keep the head wet.

Both spray some water.

Regards, seachange