Cutting curves

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Shelley Lewis

Cutting curves

Post by Shelley Lewis »

I'm trying to cut curves for the first time, specifically for this tray mold. I cropped the photo to show just one end of the mold. How do I go about this? I can't find a good video online, so if anyone can explain curve cutting or give me a video link I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
Georgia Novak

Re: Cutting curves

Post by Georgia Novak »

Outside curves are the easiest. Label your corners A(top) and B (bottom). Keep your cut as straight at possible starting at A, break off. Cut middle of curve (center of A & B) remembering to stay as straight as possible. Then finish to point B. If glass is hard to break start the break from each end of the cut with running pliers and run to the center. For inside curves think smiles when cutting. The deeper the curve the more smiles you will be cutting. When breaking the cut it is always safer to pull straight out with a very, very slight downward movement. I know you didn't ask, but thought I would throw in how to cut inside curves too. Georgia
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Doesn't look so dramatic that it couldn't be cut in one swell foop, but I guess pictures can be deceiving.

Start from one edge and follow the curve til you get to the "apex" and just keep cutting to the outside edge of the glass. Break out. Then do the same thing on the other side.

Dana W.
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

A note on the processes of cutting glass is given here: http://verrier-processes.blogspot.co.uk ... ss_12.html
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

If you have cut any circles, this should be a snap :>)
A curve is just part of a circle
Jim

Shelley Lewis wrote:I'm trying to cut curves for the first time, specifically for this tray mold. I cropped the photo to show just one end of the mold. How do I go about this? I can't find a good video online, so if anyone can explain curve cutting or give me a video link I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

I've only cut circles with a circle cutter. I flip the glass over, press on the glass to run, then flip over and make my relief cuts. I thought the same process would work with a half circle, but I wasn't successful.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Get scrap window glass and practice.
beninfl

Post by beninfl »

Shelley Lewis wrote:I've only cut circles with a circle cutter. I flip the glass over, press on the glass to run, then flip over and make my relief cuts. I thought the same process would work with a half circle, but I wasn't successful.
Outline it with a sharpie and do the same thing. That's the technique I use as well. Works like a champ :)
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I just noticed that Bullseye has a video on cutting glass that includes curves and circles. It looks like it is one of their free videos.

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/ ... tting.html

They use a technique for running circles (placing the glass on the edge of the table) that I hadn't seen before.

Dana W.
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Nobody answered the question; how to get smooth and precise score freehand. I mean how to follow the marker line without wobbles.

There are two answers, confidence and practice. Start with the practice until you get the confidence. The glass cutter is like a horse. If it feels that the rider is insecure it relies more on its own judgement.

Also, If you can't do it, fake it. Make a ruler of stiff cardboard.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Lauri Levanto wrote: I mean how to follow the marker line without wobbles.
That was the question? I thought it was "how do I cut curves?" :mrgreen: .

The Bullseye video answers the question quite well.

Dana W.