How do I make dichro frit balls?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Shelley Lewis

How do I make dichro frit balls?

Post by Shelley Lewis »

I want to make frit balls with 96 coarse dichro frit. 1. Do I fuse dichro up? 2. What is process temp?
Thanks for all the excellent advice!

Shelley
Barry Kaiser

Re: How do I make dichro frit balls?

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Dichro frit is a funny little bugger. It does not fuse like regular glass. I have tried to fuse it high (1550-10 minutes) and get pretty good results. some colors do have problems with that temperature.
The problem is the dichroic coating acts independent of the glass substrate. Kind of holds the glass from forming a ball. I have had some luck using the torch on the dichro frit. Again, kind of hit an miss. but fewer misses.

Barry
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Thank you, Barry! I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting nice round shapes, but your explanation makes perfect sense. I appreciate the reply!
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I make lots of dichro dots out of clear backed dichro. The key is that you can only tack fuse them when incorporating them into other pieces, or they'll flatten out into dichro squares again.

Place 1/4" dichro squares on the kiln shelf, dichro down. That way the clear glass balls up for a lens effect. Fire fast to 1450° or so (check for your kiln).
dots.jpg
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Thanks, Valerie! How long do you hold at 1450?
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Shelley Lewis wrote:Thanks, Valerie! How long do you hold at 1450?
Shelly, it depends on the kiln. My fiber kilns don't require a hold. If I'm using a brick kiln I'd probably hold at 10 minutes or so. That's why I mentioned visually checking; every kiln is different. :D
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Valerie,
I have tried the lay flat method. I get pointed thingies (tech term) where the corners of the dichro pull up.