advice on best kilns ... value for money

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

TracyP

advice on best kilns ... value for money

Post by TracyP »

I am very new to glass fusing / slumping and have at present only attended a one day course which I really enjoyed.  I would like to take this up as a hobby initially but who knows in time whether this could become a little more serious ... I can live in hope ;)..  I want to invest in a kiln suitable for glass fusing, slumping and also PMC and wondered what people would recommend as a good kiln – not too small as I may want to attempt bowls etc later down the line.

I have been told the Skutt Hotstart Pro is a good startup kiln but any views would be greatly appreciated.  I really wouldn’t want to spend more than £750 but if there is a lot better model slightly more it might not be a problem.

Any advice pros / cons would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Tracy
The Hobbyist

Re: advice on best kilns ... value for money

Post by The Hobbyist »

Many people, myself included, begin by finding a used kiln. That first kiln is often a ceramic kiln because they are plentiful and generally inexpensive if you are patient. Many have hardly ever been fired. Craigslist and Ebay are excellent sources.

Using a ceramic kiln requires purchasing a pyrometer to monitor the temperature. You can add a separate controller later if you continue. Firing with a pyrometer in a ceramic kiln requires a learning curve that I found very beneficial. You are forced to pay attention to what's happening in the kiln and how your glass is behaving with respect to the heat you're applying. That knowledge is not wasted when you finally go to the convenience of a controller.

If you find this addiction to playing with glass is not for you you will have invested a minimal amount of cash.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

With your budget I don't think you have to settle (as the previous poster suggests) for a used or a kiln not properly set up for glass. You can get a 15" to 18" new with controller using 110V (regular plug in). This will give you a proper learning tool and give you enough flexibility to last you for a few years. It then can become your smaller test kiln when you progress. Look at all the various kiln manufacturers and you'll see you have a choice in that range. There are people on this board using all the various makes with good service and results!..... Good luck!!
"The Glassman"
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

DonMcClennen wrote:With your budget I don't think you have to settle (as the previous poster suggests) for a used or a kiln not properly set up for glass. You can get a 15" to 18" new with controller using 110V (regular plug in). This will give you a proper learning tool and give you enough flexibility to last you for a few years. It then can become your smaller test kiln when you progress. Look at all the various kiln manufacturers and you'll see you have a choice in that range. There are people on this board using all the various makes with good service and results!..... Good luck!!
Well said, Don. There are so many things to learn and so many variations in what glass will do in response to your efforts that not having standard, reliable equipment enabling you to talk to others about what's happening with your efforts is a major negative. That said, beyond the basic kiln furniture, mold(s), and refractories, go slowly in buying 'stuff.' This is indeed the voice of experience; I'm storing molds and glass that I've never used. It is well worth the money to buy books to see what others are doing and look for your fusing muse. There's no better book to start with than Brad Walker's Contemporary Fused Glass http://www.warmglass.com/cfg/. Another of my favorite books is Joy of Fusing by Randy & Carole Wardell; beautiful book with lots of ideas and tips. One tip well worth noting is the use of non-tested glass; can save lots of money while learning techniques and acquiring skills but this glass does not react exactly as tested glass does so some 'relearning' is required when using tested glass.

and.......I have been very happy with my Skutt Pro but would also consider the FIREBOX 14; the Pro has a round 15" shelf where the FIREBOX 14 has a square 14" shelf. The 14" shelf has more area and accommodates more and larger squares/rectangles than the 15" round shelf; conversely, the 14" square marginally limits the size of rounds pieces you can make (14" vs 15"). I'd tend to prefer the FIREBOX 14 because of the greater over-all shelf area.
Jerry
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

DonMcClennen wrote: a kiln not properly set up for glass.
I'm very curious. What does this mean? I would like see a piece of kilnformed glass that can only be made in a glass kiln and not in a ceramic kiln.

The only discernible difference I've seen between a ceramic kiln and a glass kiln are the elements in the lid. I understand the supposed benefit of this feature. I also have experienced, as many others have posted, the annoying side effect of them.

I have ten kilns both glass and ceramic. I am always in fear that a piece I have invested heavily in will be ruined on the final firing by some s**t falling from the lid of a glass kiln. I have never had this occur with a ceramic kiln...NEVER.

Firing with a pyrometer, I'll admit, is a pain. But it is a good way to economize at the start. It can be used with more than one kiln of any type. It will demand you learn what is happening and when in your kiln rather than setting a controller and walking away. A stand-alone controller can always be added later.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

The benefits of a kiln designed and built for glass are obvious to those who design their own programs to repeatedly produce quality artwork. Deep ceramic kilns with side only coils will not consistently produce pieces that are gallery quality and can be sold without holding your breath! Quality glass, good equipment, record keeping, and attention to detail will provide good results. I would advise any novice to buy the best they can afford.
"The Glassman"
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

It is the craftsman not the tool(s) that produces quality results. There were many high quality glass pieces made long before glass kilns were invented. And they continue to be produced in spite of your insulting inference that it can't be done.

I repeat, show me a piece that can only be produced using a glass kiln.

Jim "The Hobbyist"