New Kiln Setup

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

BillsBayou

New Kiln Setup

Post by BillsBayou »

I'm setting up my first kiln workshop! I'm getting a Paragon CS-14D kiln. My big question is about the table. I'm thinking about getting this hardwood table from Harbor Freight. According to the video page at Bullseye "Bringing Home Your New Kiln", section "Placing your kiln"(36second mark), "If the kiln sits on a wooden surface, place a fire-resistant material underneath it." I'm thinking of using 1/2" cement backer board with ceramic tiles on top. Is this ok?

Notes on the building. This is a 10'x20' shed with 12-guage electrical and a 20-amp breaker. The kiln will be placed near a window with an exhaust fan.
rosanna gusler

Re: New Kiln Setup

Post by rosanna gusler »

If you only have the one breaker you might not be able to run other stuff while the kiln is firing.r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: New Kiln Setup

Post by Brad Walker »

BillsBayou wrote: "If the kiln sits on a wooden surface, place a fire-resistant material underneath it." I'm thinking of using 1/2" cement backer board with ceramic tiles on top. Is this ok?
Should be fine.

Rosanna's right. With only a 20 amp service, you may find that the breaker trips if you have other items on the same circuit as the kiln.