discovered the alrm feature...pushed stop

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Suzette A

discovered the alrm feature...pushed stop

Post by Suzette A »

I just discovered the alrm feature on my kiln. I looked it up in my manual but there was no explaination of what to do, so attempted to quiet the alarm by pushing stop.
I then looked up that alrm feature and realised the mistake I had made. Of course you all will already know that this doesnt just stop the alarm, it stops the program.

My firing schedule had been interupted about an hour and the kiln had cooled about 400 degrees. Obviously I did not want to let this go, so I decided to rerun the program from its current temperature. That is, I reprogramed the kiln to run the schedule as if it had just reached that point in the schedule. In my case this was stage 2 of an 8 stage firing.

Was this the right thing to do?

Luckily for me, this is my first test at fused glass so nothing rides on this but experience. My project is just a few test lumps. Nothing ruined.

But Im interested to know what the right approach would be, in this case, to salvage my project if I hadnt already made a decision on what to do.
Jerrwel

Re: discovered the alrm feature...pushed stop

Post by Jerrwel »

For my controllers if the firing is interrupted during the heat cycle, I restart the program which restarts at the current temperature; if the firing is interrupted during the cooling cycle, the controller must be reset to the stage you desire.
Jerry
Suzette A

Post by Suzette A »

Thanks Jerry! That make a lot more sense than the way I did it. Either way, the outcome is the same. But your way is much easier!

Still, my test blobs came out well.
Nancy H

Post by Nancy H »

I have pushed the start/stop button by mistake more that once to change my temp., hold time, alarm and so on. I have in frustration had to then re-program from that point each time. I have a Sentury 3 key controller that in my opinion was poorly designed. They should have designed it to have a "one minute change your mind" feature like the other buttons. My solution is to put something over that button during firing to remind you NOT to push that button. Something you can move out of the way if you really want to push it Something you physically have to move or take off if you want that button pushed. My husband designed me a fantastic gadget that I now always use. It attaches with a magnet to the side of the panel that slides out of the way of just that button when I want it to. I tried to attache a photo but wasn't able to. Hope this helps.
Nancy
charlie

Post by charlie »

you push the enter key to stop the alarm.