Small piece of frit casting mold chipped-can it be salvaged?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Shelley Lewis

Small piece of frit casting mold chipped-can it be salvaged?

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Apparently I didn't get enough mr97 on my brand new flower frit casting mold, and when I removed the fused glass a piece of the mold chipped off. Is there any way to salvage the mold, such as trying to smooth it with fine grit sand paper?
Morganica

Re: Small piece of frit casting mold chipped-can it be salva

Post by Morganica »

Yes, you can definitely smooth it out. Remember, though, that you're working in negative space, so you're going to get a bumpout in the glass to match the hole. I'd try a firing with the chip as-is first, see if you like the result, and then potentially alter the mold with a fine diamond file or something similar when you know how it needs to change.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Morganica wrote:Yes, you can definitely smooth it out. Remember, though, that you're working in negative space, so you're going to get a bumpout in the glass to match the hole. I'd try a firing with the chip as-is first, see if you like the result, and then potentially alter the mold with a fine diamond file or something similar when you know how it needs to change.
Thank you, I'll give it a try!
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

As a last resort, you can take a demel and make 3 or more coresponding "chips" on the mold.
I'll bet nobody has a mold like that :>)
Jim