Slumping disaster - HELP!

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Vicky Harris

Slumping disaster - HELP!

Post by Vicky Harris »

I am making a rainbow dinner set and am to the slumping stage. The dinner plates and side plates have come out great, but two bowls I did yesterday have got rough top edges (https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsja1cmevmw42 ... l.jpg?dl=0). They are going into Slumpys molds and I used the Slumpys recommended firing schedule for a deep slump using Bullseye glass in my Evenheat Studio Pro 41, as follows:

Seg 1 : 150, 300, 15 mins
Seg 2 : 300, 1150, 20 mins
Seg 3 : 150, 1360, 40 mins
Seg 4 : 400, 900, 60 mins
Seg 5 : 150, 800, 10 mins
Seg 6 : 300, 100, 0 mins

I did one using the recommended Evenheat schedule for slumping and they came out with virtually no patterning on the underneath side at all.

What do I need to do to fix this? Refire to flatten them out and start again? If so, what schedule to use?

Thanks for help,
Vicky
Valerie Adams

Re: Slumping disaster - HELP!

Post by Valerie Adams »

Did you apply any kiln wash to those molds? It sure doesn't look like it, as the glass has really grabbed on to the edge of your molds.

I doubt you're going to pick up the texture of that mold. I've seen others ask about it in the past and I own two; I've slumped into them quite a few times and just consider them plain bowl molds since I never get any texture out of them. Perhaps if you fired hotter/slower but you run the risk of the edges dragging like you've got.

I'd kiln carve the design first, then slump into some better quality molds.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

1360 is pretty hot for a slump.

And I agree with Valerie about the mold. I have it and find it basically worthless, at least as far as trying to get texture onto the glass.

Dana W.
Vicky Harris

Post by Vicky Harris »

Thanks for your comments. Yes I have 4 coats of kiln wash on the molds and the design is really good/clear on the glass. Should I try more kiln wash and lower top temp? If I full fuse the bowl do you think it'll go round and flat or am I going to end up with another problem?

Thanks, Vicky
charlie

Post by charlie »

as the heat has undoubtably caused the glass to stretch, when you flatten it, it won't be round or even again, but distorted.

you can either start over, or use a large flat lap to grind down the edge to make it even. you'd have to do this to all the bowls to make them match.