firing schedule question

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

KaCe

firing schedule question

Post by KaCe »

I'm not exactly 'new'. But I thought this question might benefit more than me. I'm trying to use the past conversations to look up recommended firing schedules for using Elmers glue with frit in a drawing. If I input "firing schedules" I find 317 uses of the phrase, but I when I try to define what type of firing schedule I am seeking it doesn't help. Is there a place on this forum where recommended firing schedules are posted/kept? Might that be a feature that people would refer to and use? I noticed a post where a person using rods went to 1425 and had nice results, but if they went higher the rods joined together more and made large holes not present in the lower temperature. I was thinking that most of the mass of my design is glue (which burns off, right?). So the bit that is powdered frit is all the remains. I was inspired by someone else's image of their dog, who looks like my dog. I thought she did it with glass shards, so I began mucking about using all sorts of short bits, but then I saw someone drawing with Elmers and putting frit powder on it and then drying it. So I built up about five layers, drying between layers and now want to fire this mass of glue with frit powder and don't want to over fire it and have it puddle and pool into a large mass of nothing. I want to keep the definition of the layers. So I was thinking of using a variation of the Scutt firing schedule for Tack fusing - Fast. My thinking was perhaps without a long time in the kiln it had a better chance of coming out with the definition I seek. (I can't find the fuser whose work inspired me... I gave up after two hours on the site of Fanatic fusers on FB) I like this venue more anyway, but I liked her work and, as I said, I was inspired to try. I'm not 'afraid' to just hit the firing schedule mentioned, but I also would like to think that it might be successful. Thus the posting.
Attachments
Elmers glue drawing w/ Frit
Elmers glue drawing w/ Frit
Jenna

Re: firing schedule question

Post by Jenna »

Hi KaCe
Here's a link to a glue/frit discussion about burning off the glue. It's a start. This project seems like a hybrid of making wafers and the freeze and fuse method. Check out the schedules for those techniques and you might get closer to finding the right schedule for your project.

I have never used glue in my projects so I can't help beyond that. But I will guess that your dog is a Puli? Or a labradoodle with his winter coat?

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... rit#p13180
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

Thank you for the reference. I communicated with an artist who draws using frit. She said she doesn't go over 1325°F and only left it at 1325°F for 5 min. So I amended one of the Skutt schedules (I have a Skutt kiln) for fast-tack and adjusted the schedule's highest temp to be 1325°F. I've attached a photo after my first firing. You can see holes. As the glue burned out it left a lot of holes. I have not seen a video or read how to do this, just someone said put the glue down and sprinkle frit on top. So that's what I did. When the glue burned out it lost a lot of volume creating voids. So I'll build up the image about 3 more times. I have it in now for its second firing. I think 5 will be fine. I am excited to see how this does.
Attachments
First attempt at frit drawing. First firing. Note holes.
First attempt at frit drawing. First firing. Note holes.
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

KaCe wrote:using Elmers glue with frit in a drawing
Richard LaLonde's book, Fused Glass Art and Technique, contains a huge amount of information about firing with frit. His process of using frit and CMC gel (his formula is in the book) is very close if not precisely what you describe wanting to achieve. The great thing about CMC is that there is no carbon residue so that you can just ignore the fact that you've used glue in constructing your firing schedule; CMC is also very inexpensive and available anywhere that has restaurant supply stores.

The book also has firing schedules for various frit applications as well as a thick slab BE firing schedule chart that I've not seen elsewhere.
Jerry
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Jerrwel wrote: The book also has firing schedules for various frit applications as well as a thick slab BE firing schedule chart that I've not seen elsewhere.
Jerry, Bullseye has that thick slab chart, as well as a huge cache of other tip sheets, tech notes, etc. on their site.
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... slabs.html
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Valerie Adams wrote:
Jerrwel wrote: The book also has firing schedules for various frit applications as well as a thick slab BE firing schedule chart that I've not seen elsewhere.
Jerry, Bullseye has that thick slab chart, as well as a huge cache of other tip sheets, tech notes, etc. on their site.
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... slabs.html
Valarie: not to lose the focus of this thread, but had used the BE site in the past; however with their reformatting a couple of years ago gave up on trying to find anything....just seemed like a bunch of entries thrown together without much organization. For example, a query for tech sheets would bring back loads of discussion threads about the tech sheets but not the tech sheets themselves. Haven't tried using the site in quite some time. If it's better, it might be because I sent them immediate feedback suggesting different display priorities for material.
Jerry
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I've always just referred to the index:
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... icles.html
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Valerie Adams wrote:I've always just referred to the index:
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... icles.html
Which wasn't there when they did their initial reformat and I haven't tried to use the site since then. Will visit their site now that I know material is better organized.
Jerry
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

KaCe wrote:recommended firing schedules for using Elmers glue with frit
Here's an article about Liquid Stringer Medium that might have some ideas for you http://www.sunshineglass.com/pdf/liquid ... r_info.pdf. The author may be the purveyor of the product so expect some prejudice. The top firing temp of 1335 is suggested. My experience with Elmer's glue has not been particularly successful.
Jerry