Kilnbuilding

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

FlorianFranken

Kilnbuilding

Post by FlorianFranken »

Hi all, being fairly new to this hobby and on a bit of a budget, I'm looking to build a kiln myself.

Would I be able to use heating elements from washing machines/dishwashers?
Does anyone know what material these are made of?
All practical issues like wiring/control aside, are they able to reach fusing temperatures at all without breaking,
since they are designed to quickly give off their heat/energy to water without getting extermely hot themselves?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Kilnbuilding

Post by Brad Walker »

Heating elements from dishwashers/washing machines are not useable for kilns. You'll need an element that can reach 1700F.

In most situations, kiln elements are made from a wire alloy, either nickel-chromium or iron-chrome-aluminum. You can find some very good information about kiln elements here: http://joppaglass.com/elements/dudleys_ ... r_2012.pdf

In addition to the kiln manufacturers, the main companies that sell kiln elements are joppaglass.com, duralite.com, and euclids.com. All offer advice on buying and installing kiln elements.
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

IMHO: better to buy a used ceramic kiln and get started, many times you can find some of these on craigslist for under $150. buying good insulating fire brick isn't cheap. you can get a set point controller and pyrometer for another $50. that is the cheapest way to get started and then upgrade as you can afford it.
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

I encourage kiln building because of so many reasons. Yes, good deals can be found using ceramic relics and that's fine, too. However, it's still best (when upgrading) to build your own. Stock elements from Durolite Inc. are best because they're affordable and always available. A kiln is simply an insulated box - nothing to it, especially with modern ceramic materials. The secret is how you control the heat and that's done with controllers, with ease. My workhorse is made from a 55 gal. drum (laid sideways), containing shelves measuring 12" x 30". I first bought those new custom-made shelves for a song from a friend, then made the kiln to fit them!