sentimenal bottles

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Paul Schulz

sentimenal bottles

Post by Paul Schulz »

hi there one and all.. these bottles have a lot of sentimental value, so i only get one try at slumping them ,,,i want to try and dam two sides as they slump,,,has anyone tried this and have success?? any input would be appreciated..and yes i would use some thin fire or kiln wash on the dams
many thanks as always,,, paul
Attachments
DSCN2178.JPG
DSCN2177.JPG
rosanna gusler

Re: sentimenal bottles

Post by rosanna gusler »

why dam?
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

i want to make a pair of matching plates using the shape of the bottles ,so when they have been slumped they can lay side by side with out a big difference in the over all shape
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

so you are going to lay them on their side with a dam on the flat side? it could work but you will get some 'interesting' folds i think............ i would do a test run with 2 regular clear bottles set up just like that. you will have to put a couple of little pieces of balled up fiber under the edges of the bottles opposite the dams to keep them from rolling. fire the test bottles and then you will be able to get a fairly good idea about how your special bottles will behave....... pay close attention to how thick the glass is where itfolds over and figure your anneal accordingly. if you want i can go out and look up a bottle schedule . too fast and you can trap some pretty mongo bubbles. good luck. r.
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

Good idea =D> ,,,,,not sure why i didn't think of that,,, #-o am starting kiln overnight will post in 2 days
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

well i got the sort of finish i am hoping to get ,,,all so got some very heavy folding, 25mm thick.i think i may have to rethink my firing program and allow more time for annealing,,,Any thoughts
150 540 20
150 620 15
315 680 29
315 804 20
999 482 60
32 427 30
49 370 00
66 100 00
Attachments
DSCN2183.JPG
DSCN2181.JPG
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i anneal bottle glass at 1000f. then drop at 85f/hour to 700f. i would anneal for at least 1.5 hours. you only have one shot at this so why skimp. r.