Place slump mold directly on kiln Shelf?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

conboc

Place slump mold directly on kiln Shelf?

Post by conboc »

It is my first slump firing. Do I place the mold directly on the shelf, or should i put it on stilts to aid in air circulation? It has four small holes in the bottom, but wonder how well the air circulates if it is sitting on a shelf. thanks.
rosanna gusler

Re: Place slump mold directly on kiln Shelf?

Post by rosanna gusler »

i like to elevate my molds off the shelf. it helps to avoid heat shocking the shalf and aids in evenivity. you can also put molds on the floor of the kiln if height is an issue.r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

For a slump firing, all a shelf is doing for you is adding mass to the kiln load. This costs money to heat up and takes more time to cool down. Nothing is gained at all. It is a good idea to raise your slump mold off of the floor with 3 points of contact, then you should level it. The most important factor is to make sure the holes in the mold have a place where air can actually escape. leaving a slump mold on the floor may not be ideal, but it will work fine as long as the holes are cleared. There are a lot worse things you can do. I rarely use shelves for anything. Mostly I fuse directly on my kiln floor, which is covered with fiber blanket,and/or a sand casting mold.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
conboc

Post by conboc »

Thank you so much for writing in! Appreciate your help.