Satin look fire polishing

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Havi

Satin look fire polishing

Post by Havi »

What is the optimal temp. for satin finish fire polishing???
I am looking for a finish which is not a glossy shine, but the glass has some vague gloss....

Will this help flatten [erase?] light marks of the brush when the shelf was kiln-washed?

Thanks in advance,

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
DonMcClennen

Re: Satin look fire polishing

Post by DonMcClennen »

I hesitate to give you an exact temp. because it depends on a few things: First what glass? BE, 96, or other..... Second.. what colour?.. black glass will go past the satin stage and start to shine while white glass is just nicely satin...(other colours respond variously as well).. Third how long to hold at top temp. (there is a very fine line between "enough" and "too much" hold time).
Having said all that the range is in the 1180F too 12ooF between 5 to 10 min. I do suggest you test for optimum results!
I do think the act of sandblast then satin firing will soften you troubling brush marks.
"The Glassman"
Havi

Re: Satin look fire polishing

Post by Havi »

Thanks, Don,
For your response, and consideration.
All I can say is, that I work with BE, it is red wafer on BE 1101 [transparent], and I will not hold you responsible, for my mistakes.
I need a starting point, from which I shall be very watchful to see the exact result I want - and learn from that.

Could you please say at least, between 718c [in your Fahrenheit numbers] and XXXX,

I'd be grateful!

H.
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com