glass chips to prevent bubbles

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Linda Blackburn

glass chips to prevent bubbles

Post by Linda Blackburn »

I made an 8" X 10" glass painting with fine fit on 1 layer of clear and and am tack fusing it. (It's in the kiln now) For the second firing I want to flip it, top with a sheet of white and full fuse. Since the frit will still have texture I plan to put clear glass chips under the corners so the air can escape. The frit design is pretty much in the center and was about 1/8" thick before firing. I don't want the piece larger than 8 X 10, so I am considering damming it. Will the 1/8" fiber paper lining the mulliet dams be porous enough to allow the air to escape? Or would it be better to do this flip and fire without dams?

I can post a picture after the tack fuse if that would help.

Thank you,
Linda Blackburn

"Art flourishes where there is a sense of adventure.” Alfred North Whitehead
Linda Blackburn

"Art flourishes where there is a sense of adventure." - Alfred North Whitehead
JestersBaubles

Re: glass chips to prevent bubbles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I don't quite understand if the frit ends up on the surface uncapped or is sandwiched between the glass, but at any rate, keep in mind that you may see the clear glass chips in the final result.

If the idea is to back a frit painting on clear with a white piece of glass, I would suggest next time fusing the clear & white to a full fuse, and then going in for a second tack fuse with the frit painting.

Dana W.