High Temp Powder Coating

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

lorimellyn

High Temp Powder Coating

Post by lorimellyn »

Hi, I have a Paragon Kiln - Ovation 10, and my husband wants to powder coat his headers (high temp) it will have to go to about 1200 for 10-15 minutes. I make a living with this kiln and am afraid it will hurt it, does any one know if it will hurt my kiln. Thank you all so much. Lori
AndyT

Re: High Temp Powder Coating

Post by AndyT »

From online: Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such as household appliances, aluminium extrusions, drum hardware and automobile and bicycle parts. Newer technologies allow other materials, such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard), to be powder coated using different methods.

so how does he expect to apply it? I for one would say, no way!
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

The usual way to get small powder coating jobs done is to find a powder coater and ask the guys in the back to put the pieces through on the end of a run and you gift them something they would value in return for the favor.
Of course done that way the headers might come out Bright Pink if that was the colour they were running that day. :lol:
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Kevin Midgley wrote:The usual way to get small powder coating jobs done is to find a powder coater and ask the guys in the back to put the pieces through on the end of a run and you gift them something they would value in return for the favor.
Of course done that way the headers might come out Bright Pink if that was the colour they were running that day. :lol:
I did just that on some metal pieces for my van...all of $20!
jolly

Post by jolly »

I would look at the MSDS to see what fumes might be coming off the very high temp powder coating material. Also, if you have a glass kiln with elements only on the top, will that be a problem for the parts? Won't the top be hotter than the sides or bottom? I might be looking for someone with a pottery kiln, they put weird stuff on their glazes all the time and more even heat.
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

lorimellyn wrote:Hi, I have a Paragon Kiln - Ovation 10, and my husband wants to powder coat his headers (high temp) it will have to go to about 1200 for 10-15 minutes. I make a living with this kiln and am afraid it will hurt it, does any one know if it will hurt my kiln. Thank you all so much. Lori
Powder coating won't be able to take the heat a header produces - they are typically ceramic coated. The ceramic also provides a dual benefit of both containing heat, yet distributing what comes though better, creating fewer hot spots. It's also chemical resistant and can be finished in various ways.
For either PC or ceramic it is important to have thoroughly blasted off any nickel underlayer, which is typically under a (prior/originally) chrome finished header.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.