Carboxymethylcellulose (CMC)

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Jan de Jong

Carboxymethylcellulose (CMC)

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello ! Sorry, I forgot the recipe for this product to make "glue". Thank you, Jan de Jong
Jan de Jong

Re: Carboxymethylcellulose (CMC)

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello, Please give me an idea about how many (tea)-spoons on how many water I have to boil . Thank you very much !!! Jan de Jong (from Holland)
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

There are a lot of different CMCs. In general use 3-4 tablespoons to a pint of hot water for a nice viscous solution.
That is good to hold powder together.
Your definition of "glue" also makes a difference. It depends on what you want to accomplish
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

However you may find that less is more than that suggested by Barry. The less you use, the less there is to burn out in the kiln and to not leave residues.
It will depend on the CMC you buy and how much glue power you need to use.
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

Thank you both ...Barry and Kevin !!! Now I have an idea and I will test. Jan de Jong (from Holland)
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

When firing, vent the kiln to 1000 F and hold at that temp for about 10-15 minutes. That burns off all the organics.
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello, Giving birthday - ( to youth) and other workshops not at my home I need "glue" to attach pieces of glass on a blank glass (underground) ….for the transport. I tested the CMC I have: 3 TEA-spoons CMC on 1 liter water. Boiled and cooled it...and there was a solution, what was not like water....somewhat thicker. I tested it and it did his work good , but not so quickly !! But the solution (without the full gluing) hold the two parts of glass together ! I did fire to 780 C. (without venting) and no residuSorry …..my explanation is poor...due to my bad knowledge of the English language. I hope you will understand what I try to let you know, Jan de Jong (from Holland)