Using Rare Earth Oxides

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Jan de Jong

Using Rare Earth Oxides

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello, I read this morning that Rare Earth Oxides are used with Ceramic. Is it possible to use on Glass….and with good results ? Jan de Jong (Holland)
jagboy69

Re: Using Rare Earth Oxides

Post by jagboy69 »

Sorry bud... I can't help you. The other's around here aren't very lively are they?

Try it, Hope it works for you, then don't tell anyone how you did it! (except me) ;-)
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Accidently posted twice!
Last edited by Buttercup on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Jagboy69 wrote:Sorry bud... I can't help you. The other's around here aren't very lively are they?

Try it, Hope it works for you, then don't tell anyone how you did it! (except me) ;-)
This isn't FaceBook. Members are very helpful if they know the answer or can make a good suggestion.
jagboy69

Post by jagboy69 »

Jim, that snide remark was meant for me. :roll: No one uses facebook anymore, it's a trash platform anyways.

I've been messing with glass for just a few months and sad to say, I've been less than impressed with what I've seen so far as the community goes.
When someone comes to me for bronze casting advice, I do my best to share, teach and further the art. Not to worry folks, I'll show myself out the door.
I've got better things to do with my time.

CYA
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

It depends on what rare earth oxides you are referring to. Cerium is normally used as a polishing agent for glass primarily as a final polish. Other rare earths are used in a few glasses but are normally mixed into the batch before they are ever melted. As far as applications of rare earths to glass that has already been mixed and melting, I would say it will not result in anything that would you'll find to be of value. Some other chemicals/metals can be applied to glass as it is very warm/hot and can result in some very nice effects, i.e. spraying silver chloride, tin chloride, iron chloride, etc. Use these with care as they can be very dangerous if you are not well prepared for their usage.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Jim and Jim,

That remark about F/B was not made snidely. I noted that Jagboy 69 was relatively new to the board but spoke disparagingly about the members' lack of response to Jan's question.

I thought maybe he expected a F/B-like response where all sorts of 'advice' would be offered regardless of its accuracy or the responders' knowledge of the topic.

Not Dana, by the way.
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello ! sorry for my late respons. In the past there was a mail that there was post on the forum...…..but did forget this and therefore I did not look here for days.
Thank you for your answers. I learned not to experiment with this rare earth oxides. Jan