Making small pieces glass

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Jan de Jong

Making small pieces glass

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello ! I know the manner to make small pieces glass bij heating the glass and throw it in cold water. Now I wonder....if I do this for a second/third time will the glass-parts become smaller every time? Thank you ! Jan de Jong (Holland)
Jan de Jong

Re: Making small pieces glass

Post by Jan de Jong »

Perhaps I did give to little information as there is no reaction ? Heating up the glass and throwing in cold water is to make frit. But the measurement is still too big for me.
So I wonder if I can do it again to get smaller parts ? Jan de Jong
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

They'll resist getting smaller as the smaller pieces can take the stress better or just plain have less of it. You'll need to crush or grind it beyond that. If you get a crusher, I'd suggest you get one with a sturdy, solid handle(not the Aanraku) and instead of pumping up and down, put it on a solid surface and strike the handle with a hammer 3-4 times. Hitting more times is pointless, the glass will compact and is very strong. Pour out into a screen and throw the bigger pieces back in the crusher, repeat. * If you pump the handle up/down you are pumping lots of fine glass dust into the air. :oops:
A few people are making crushers and selling on ebay . . . I have one made by baleak@live.com
It is the "Sore Thumb Rock Crusher" :lol: Very plain but very sturdy.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

@ Ed Cantarella: Thank you for your answer ! But....I wish not to make "frit". When you heat the glass and throw it in cold water, there are made nice round little pieces.
But I wish this pieces still smaller and wonder how to do. So I thought: once again heating and in cold water these pieces. If nobody knows if this will work I have to test it myself. greetings from Holland, Jan
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Jan, did you perform the experiment? What was the result?
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

@ Don Burt: Sorry for my late respons ! No, I did not test as I heard from a fuser that this pieces will not become smaller. Jan