Cleaning Glass after Grinding Edges

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Pmasuhr

Cleaning Glass after Grinding Edges

Post by Pmasuhr »

I am fairly new to fusing, dabbling on and off for the past two years. I recently made an oblong platter, which was full fused and then slumped. I assembled this at a home studio where I've taken some lessons about a month ago and left it to be fused. When I picked it up this past weekend, there were marks on the glass where the strip cuts butted up against the other glass (kind of a scummy mark line). I know this is difficult to assess without a photo. But it has a sheen to it and I can see through it also. I wasn't sure if this was davit or if I had possibly ground the edges of the glass, or a possible reaction. Regardless, I can't use the piece. Two questions - 1) If I did grind the edges (it's just too long ago and I can't remember), how do people clean it properly so that there isn't any remaining residue? It is certainly possible that this is what happened. I did clean the glass, but perhaps not as well as I should have. 2) Now that the piece is slumped, is it scrap, or is there something I can do to recover the piece - maybe add a design element to cover the line?? Would I try to fuse it flat? The good news is that I'm getting my own kiln next month. If I had seen the problem after the full fuse, I wouldn't have slumped it :) The glass that I used was Bullseye Medium amber with a strip of French Vanilla and and strip of Black Opal. I know that the French Vanilla is reactive - could that be a possible problem? But the lines are on both the FV and Black sides of the strip. I don't know if this piece was fused with anything else in the kiln. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
DonMcClennen

Re: Cleaning Glass after Grinding Edges

Post by DonMcClennen »

If you have someone else do your firing (who gave you lessons) then you need to talk this all out with them! These results could be avoided if you gave your assembled work an surface coating (airbrush) with superspray before fuse firing. When you get your own kiln you'll have better control of handling, firing schedules etc. Good Luck!
"The Glassman"
Pmasuhr

Post by Pmasuhr »

Yep, you're right. Thank you!
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

You might want to check BE reactions, straight advice I got years ago from BE

Reactive Potential of Bullseye Glass (charts)
When certain Bullseye glasses are combined in the kiln, their chemistries may react with each other to produce special effects. The reactions will take place at the interface (where the glasses are touching), and may be considered a design feature or nuisance depending on your intention. Get the reaction you want (or avoid the reaction you don't want) by downloading the "Reactive Potential of Bullseye Glass" chart.
Mark Hughes
Pmasuhr

Post by Pmasuhr »

Thank you. I have recently printed off the BE reactive chart and will pay special attention from now on as to what glass I'm placing next to another. Thank you.