Grand Opening of Web Site

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Pama Designs

Re: Grand Opening of Web Site

Post by Pama Designs »

charlie wrote: your decision, though, will put off more experienced shoppers, who don't usually want to be hit over the head a lot. a single icon to put something in a checkout basket is what they'd like to see. perhaps a way to turn off the extra bandwidth?
I'll take this into advisement. I need to do more research on what works and doesn't in e-commerce. But I really do appreciate the input, in efforts to make it both beautiful and effective.
charlie

Post by charlie »

i've also seen sites which are basically a gallery site. if you want to buy something you click on an icon and it takes you to another seperate site (subdomain) which has all the buying stuff in it. the original one only has 'add to cart' icons in an unobtrusive manner.
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Pricing on web sites

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Hi, Friends,

This may show my lack of sophistication and a sensibility of the arts,
but I like to be able to see the prices of artwork on artists' web sites.
I also like to be able to compare their prices with some of my work
which is similar. It is convenient for me to order art work if I know
the price rather than having to search for it.

Today, I did not buy some fresh-looking corn at the supermarket
because there was no price listed. Too much trouble to find a person
who knew the price. Prices vary widely on produce in our city. All
of the other produce was priced, so I assumed the corn was very
expensive. Uh oh, now everyone will think I'm cheap.

Also, I see prices displayed on pieces of glass art in galleries for up
to $300,000. Does that degrade its value?

Please know I am not being argumentative. One of the things I like
about this Board is the fact that we can all express our opinions without
rancor. I'm sure most of you know more about marketing glass than
I do. This is just my two cents.

Warmly,
Nita
Mira

Post by Mira »

I think it's nice to post the price right there - no clicking back and forth to compare, etc. I have high speed internet access, but a lot of people don't . . .

Just my 2 pennies worth.
dee

Re: Grand Opening of Web Site

Post by dee »

charlie wrote:
Pama Designs wrote:I know it looks a bit strange because many sites lack the ordering information altogether or put it to the side somewhere. My target market includes people in their 60s and 70s, shopowners in their 50s, and others who may not be used to purchasing over the Internet. I tried to make the site as user-friendly as possible for them, including having relatively large type faces and the repetition of ordering info on each page. Also, I'm planning to use e-commerce as one of my main selling strategies as I have parenting reponsibilities that make it impossible for me to travel much.Over time, I may adjust this strategy depending on its success. Thanks for the feedback!
your decision, though, will put off more experienced shoppers, who don't usually want to be hit over the head a lot. a single icon to put something in a checkout basket is what they'd like to see. perhaps a way to turn off the extra bandwidth?
i think her site from this perspective is fine - as a consumer i won't search for prices/buy it button - i want to know what it costs when i see it - amazon, barnes and noble, stateline tack - yes we own a horse ;P - all present item pic, description, price, but it button in a professional, organized manner to make it easy for the shopper - and i am an experienced web shopper myself - if you want a gallery type site, that is a different focus than a retail e-commerce site.

web developer and glass artist in one package
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Trouble in linking to this site

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

This morning I had an E-mail message that there was a message on
this site. I clicked on the link, waited quite a while, and then saw
a white page stating "This page cannot be displayed." It happened
three times.

I had no trouble when I came directly to the Board and clicked on
Pictures and Stuff.

Nita
Mira

Post by Mira »

Hi Alice -

First, I love your site - great work.

Second, now that your site has been up for awhile, I was wondering if you have any further words of advice. How's it going? Did you decide to make any changes, and if so, what decisions did you make? Have you found that it's been worth the added effort of updating, etc.?

Looking forward to your feedback,

Mira
Pama Designs

Post by Pama Designs »

Hi Mira,
I think it's too early to say if it's worth it; it costs about $50 a month. But I know it will be useful to have once business picks up in the off-line world. I haven't advertised the site at all yet, so right now it's pretty static and I've sold most of my pieces in an open studio that I had this fall, and another one is planned for this weekend. I also started a new part-time job in August and my little one started kindergarten, so I've been too busy to pay much attention to the site. I'll definitely post again when I get some momentum in advertising the site. Keep in touch.
Alice
Pat Watkins

Post by Pat Watkins »

Alice, my compliments to your design of PAMA website. It is nicely done. The steps are very clear and explanatory.

I met you and Leslie at WGWII and I am no longer a lurker. I think that is what you called me. :D

Best of Luck, you have added a great deal of thought to your marketing approach.
Pama Designs

Post by Pama Designs »

Thanks Pat,
It was great to meet you at the conference!
Alice
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

I too, would like to say thanks for the info on your web site and the photography tips. The web site looks as nice as your pieces.

Jon