Joseph's Pride

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jackie,

Do you have your V-wheel on a fixed arbor (a glass lathe) or are you using it on a portable grinder?

Tony (who also appreciated your pillow boxes)

It's portable Tony - in fact, it's itty-bity portable. It works ok for my application though. And besides, I have no room for one of those huge fabulous glass lathes in my studio. And I guess for as often as I use it, it would be overkill for me. Another thing - my work is often fairly large and I find it exhausting on my arms to hold the glass up to the lathe. Holding the little grinder to the glass is easier (albeit messier) for me. I haven't forgotten about your pictures, by the way, I just haven't gotten to that yet - but I'll get on it.

Jackie
charlie

Post by charlie »

Tony Smith wrote:
Jackie Beckman wrote: I used a diamond "V" wheel to carve the surface of the glass. It sort of gives the texture of wood grain, or bamboo, or a reedy sort of grass. I have another wheel that is flat and wider, and that one gives a different texture. It is hard to see in the photographs, but the surface of those carved pieces is very bumpy and textured - Does that help any? They truly are fun to touch - especially the soft, silky, buttery ones - you just want to rub your cheek against them.
Jackie,

Do you have your V-wheel on a fixed arbor (a glass lathe) or are you using it on a portable grinder?

Tony (who also appreciated your pillow boxes)
it's an air grinder. hf has really cheap diamond coated grinder heads.
quill

Post by quill »

Wow, they are all awesome! I am just amazed.
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Very nice Jackie,

I never get tired of looking at your work. The mounting is cool also.

Jon
TrishV

Post by TrishV »

Your work is wonderful. Where is it showing? Please tell me it's on public display somewhere. I'd love to see it. I can look at it and almost taste the color!

TrishV
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

Jackie … these pieces are breathtaking!!!!

Your work has always been stunning but the textured borders somehow seem to bring the colors out even more … if that’s possible. Makes you want to reach out and touch them.

Melodie
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

Awesome work Jackie! As ususal, great colors and layout. I love the staggered hanging!

dick
Brock

Post by Brock »

I worked all my wiles, and the good will brought about by 16 years of volunteering there, and phoned Pilchuck to fine out the results of the jurying. I got told . . . . . . nothing! Results in a week, or so.

So, Avery, Doug, Jackie, Amy, others, hang in there with me. Hopefully we'll all meet in Seattle in November. Jackie, I think you're a lock. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Brock, are you talking about the Pilchuck auction? I could not figure out how to submit anything--couldn't find anything on their website and couldn't find someone to ask. Can you tell me how its done? I take it its too late for this year.
Thanks!
Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yeah, it's too late, the jurying is done, but not announced yet. Go to their website and send an email to Darcy, asking for an invitation for next year. It used to be that only students who had been there were accepted into the auction, along with the heavy hitters, but that aeems to have changed. There's 80 pieces in the Live Auction, and I think a total of 250 pieces, in all, with the four silent auctions.

Brock
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Brock wrote:I worked all my wiles, and the good will brought about by 16 years of volunteering there, and phoned Pilchuck to fine out the results of the jurying. I got told . . . . . . nothing! Results in a week, or so.

So, Avery, Doug, Jackie, Amy, others, hang in there with me. Hopefully we'll all meet in Seattle in November. Jackie, I think you're a lock. Brock

OK Brock - I'll hang in there and wait it out. Good to know I can stop sitting on my mailbox for the next week or so. Although . . . you should know I didn't tell many people I had submitted this piece for the auction so as to save my self any embarrassment down the road. You just have the most subtle way of announcing all the interesting news . . . :wink:
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

Jackie, So stunning! So Inspiring! What size are these? Lynn
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Wow - thank you Lynn.

Measuring has never been my strong point, as many of you know, but they are bigger than 8", a little less than 8 1/2". No, they are not 8 1/4" either - the other fraction - Ummmm? 8 3/8" maybe.

In my mind I wanted them to be 10" squares, but practicality took over when I realized my 3 shelves are each 20" and the pieces needed a dam. So rather than fire my kiln three times for each required firing, I made the squares smaller and only had to fire once for each firing. That may seem a silly way to determine the size of a piece of artwork, but when you consider its still 107 degrees here ](*,) it makes sense to eliminate extra days of heat in the studio.

By the way . . . still no word from those sadists at Pilchuck. Anyone else hear yet??????????????
Brock

Post by Brock »

By the way . . . still no word from those sadists at Pilchuck. Anyone else hear yet??????????????

Nope. Still waiting. Those Bastards!
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Brock wrote:By the way . . . still no word from those sadists at Pilchuck. Anyone else hear yet??????????????

Nope. Still waiting. Those Bastards!
We better change our tune Brock - If we are in, I think they can still pull us for talking nasty about them like that, can't they??
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hopefully they don't read this board.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Brock wrote:Hopefully they don't read this board.
Oh. So I take it you haven't called up and called them bastards right to their faces? (or would that be ears?) Good self-control on your part. I'm restraining myself from making inquiry . . . at least using my real name. 8)
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Whoa, Jackie! I've been away too long!

The work is just getting amazinger all the time!

PS. If Pilchuck doesn't take the work for the auction, would you let us start an auction for it here on the board?

If they DO take it, you can bet I'll be there waving my bidder's card! (With Dan, as usual, glaring at me across the table!)

Good going!
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Lani McGregor wrote:Whoa, Jackie! I've been away too long!

The work is just getting amazinger all the time!

PS. If Pilchuck doesn't take the work for the auction, would you let us start an auction for it here on the board?

If they DO take it, you can bet I'll be there waving my bidder's card! (With Dan, as usual, glaring at me across the table!)

Good going!
Thanks Lani - your compliments made my day!! Really!

Turns out they are not sadists and bastards over at Pilchuck . . .
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

The bad news (for you) is . . . I've got tons and tons of witnesses now that will swear you said you'll be bidding on my piece. The good news (for you) is you can probably get it for around 75 cents, because I've yet to see someone with nerve enough to bid against you. :lol:

See you soon-
Jackie
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Jackie Beckman wrote: The bad news (for you) is . . . I've got tons and tons of witnesses now that will swear you said you'll be bidding on my piece. The good news (for you) is you can probably get it for around 75 cents, because I've yet to see someone with nerve enough to bid against you. :lol:

See you soon-
Jackie
Ooooh, Jackie, Jackie.... you need to go to a Pilchuck auction!!! I am a VERY small fish in that pond.... my little guppie nibbles are nothing in that feeding frenzy of deep pocketed Killer Whales!

(But my little Bid Card and I will give it our best effort!)

-L