Joseph's Pride

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Lani McGregor wrote:
Jackie Beckman wrote: The bad news (for you) is . . . I've got tons and tons of witnesses now that will swear you said you'll be bidding on my piece. The good news (for you) is you can probably get it for around 75 cents, because I've yet to see someone with nerve enough to bid against you. :lol:

See you soon-
Jackie
Ooooh, Jackie, Jackie.... you need to go to a Pilchuck auction!!! I am a VERY small fish in that pond.... my little guppie nibbles are nothing in that feeding frenzy of deep pocketed Killer Whales!

(But my little Bid Card and I will give it our best effort!)

-L
Ok Lil fish- I'll be there and see this wonder for myself I suppose. I just remember nobody daring to write their name under yours on anything at the warmglass auction last year in Portland. Very funny. They'd pick up the pencil, look at the name above, and murmer quietly, "Oh - it's Lani" and put the pencil back down. Wine comes to mind - and probably other items too, but it's a fuzzy-memory week for me - all a whirlwind. I can't be the only one who remembers this, can I? - anyone??
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

The good news (for you) is you can probably get it for around 75 cents, because I've yet to see someone
with nerve enough to bid against you.

I wouldn't bet on that.... :twisted:
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

[q
I just remember nobody daring to write their name under yours on anything at the warmglass auction last year in Portland. Very funny. They'd pick up the pencil, look at the name above, and murmer quietly, "Oh - it's Lani" and put the pencil back down. Wine comes to mind - and probably other items too, but it's a fuzzy-memory week for me - all a whirlwind. I can't be the only one who remembers this, can I? - anyone??[/quote]

I remember....it was king crab....and I didn't bid against Lani! Hope it was yummy Lani....
Avery
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Yea, I remember that...she got everything she wanted for the minimum bid.. 8)
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Doug Randall wrote:Yea, I remember that...she got everything she wanted for the minimum bid.. 8)
Sheesh, guys, make me feel bad!!!!

(especially after I ate ALL that crab and drank ALL that wine ALL by myself!!! ..... NOT) ..... :wink: See you at Pilchuck!!!!
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Looking forward to it...see you there Lani.
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Doug Randall wrote:Looking forward to it...see you there Lani.
Ditto for me....looking forward to seeing you at the auction...
Avery
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

Jackie - i just got back to the board and checked out your pieces. They are gorgeous! i absolutely love the colors! Good luck with the auction!

Jody
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jody Walker wrote:Jackie - i just got back to the board and checked out your pieces. They are gorgeous! i absolutely love the colors! Good luck with the auction!

Jody
Thanks Jody - we tend to like the same colors, it seems. My favorite piece of yours is the flower cart on the brick street - you know the one I mean? We seem to be drawn to the same pallet.
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

I'm thinking that you mean the oil painting. It's funny, I didn't think many people checked out my paintings, just mostly my glass, so thanks -- we do love the same colors! That's what draws me to your work, but the energy in the pieces keep me coming back.
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Jackie......I love your work and all of your wonderful colors...I am new artist in glass fusing....I have a few questions.....When you have the solid background such as lime green, did you do the middle tile first and then later fuse that tile to the background piece? Also, on the middle tiles, did you use a layer of clear the first time over the top or under the bottom to keep the square a uniform shape? Thanks so much..i have done ceramics for years with the same colors but am becoming very addicted to this "glass thing"....Any help from anyone would be welcome.......
charlie

Post by charlie »

all the pieces are made such that the internal multicolored piece(s) are first fused up and sized. then all the surrounding colors are done with strips laid on edge, and then dammed to keep them square.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

meltdown wrote:Jackie......I love your work and all of your wonderful colors...I am new artist in glass fusing....I have a few questions.....When you have the solid background such as lime green, did you do the middle tile first and then later fuse that tile to the background piece? Also, on the middle tiles, did you use a layer of clear the first time over the top or under the bottom to keep the square a uniform shape? Thanks so much..i have done ceramics for years with the same colors but am becoming very addicted to this "glass thing"....Any help from anyone would be welcome.......
Thank you. Charlie is correct in his description of how these pieces are made. The center pieces are dammed up to keep them square, and if they still usually need to be run around the wetbelt sander a little and then the backgrounds are built around them.
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Charlie and Jackie.......thanks so much for the info so quick....I love this bulletin board...You guys do not know how much help I have already gotten just reading ya'lls questions....I think this is the greatest thing any artist can have access to......thanks too to Brad and all of the staff at Warm Glass......you are GREAT!!!!!!! MELTDOWN :lol:
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jody Walker wrote:I'm thinking that you mean the oil painting. It's funny, I didn't think many people checked out my paintings, just mostly my glass, so thanks -- we do love the same colors! That's what draws me to your work, but the energy in the pieces keep me coming back.
Your glass is beautiful and getting better all the time. But long before you ever even had glass on your site, I've been in love with your pastels! My favorite pieces of yours are oils though. Grafton Street and Monday in Venice. They are very special. I wanted to tell you long ago how beautiful I found those pieces, but it was during the waiting for results of the judging of the WG@BE last year, and I didn't want you or Brad to think I was sucking up! :wink:
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Jackie: Absolutely love what your doing now. Keep up the awesome work. I envy your ability to use the colours the way you do. Where did you learn the techniques of the grinders/polishers etc.?? I'm a little confused with the "how tos".
Good luck to all who are waiting for the Pilchuk news. I am 100% sure you will all be in.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Hey Jackie: Absolutely love what your doing now. Keep up the awesome work. I envy your ability to use the colours the way you do. Where did you learn the techniques of the grinders/polishers etc.?? I'm a little confused with the "how tos".
Good luck to all who are waiting for the Pilchuk news. I am 100% sure you will all be in.
Hi Kathie - Thanks. The color part comes pretty natural to me. The grinding/polishing you asked about is different. I really have had very little instruction in this area. We touched on various coldworking tools last year in Doug and Jack's class in Portland: (Wetbelt sander, lathe, etc.) I didn't pay as much attention as I should, but I got to see and touch and use various equipment I was totally unfamiler with. Also, Brock and Avery go over the WBS and sandblaster in their classes as well.

What I have learned is this - and this is all very, very basic. You need some sort of abrasive and you need water. Diamond abrasives cut much faster than silicon carbide and each piece of equipment works better on different parts of the glass. (For example, the wetbelt sander is for the edges of the glass, while the lathe is for the surface.) I have a blaster and WBS, but no system for actual surface grinding.

My studio space is limited, and actually, so is my need for elaborate equipment. But an important thing that I took away from that learning experience is that the "tool" is not really as important as the other two components - the abrasive and the water. Once I understood that, I was free to experiment a little and see what works for me. Even though I was shown how a diamond wheel works on an enormous lathe and an elaborate multi-wheel grinding station, I transfered that information to tools I had access to.

I knew that if I needed water, I didn't want electricity. That left air powered tools. (We happen to have lots of air-powered tools, but so does Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc.) Water can be added in various ways; a simple rubermade container works for something that would fit inside of it, but a huge panel might require a hose dripping on it while you work. (Living in AZ that's easy to acomplish outside) So - that's the power and the water - all that's left is the abrasive. I found those in the same places people with "real" coldworking tools do: HIS Glassworks, Abrasive Tech, Granite City, etc. I even found some very inexpensive small diamond wheels at Harbor Freight.

The point is, Kathie, once you understand that you need power, water and an abrasive to take away glass, then you can play around a little bit. A 60 grit abrasive is going to cut away a lot of glass. You start at a low number like that, then work your way up. Perhaps 120 then 220, then 400, then 600, etc, until you get the look you want. Sometimes you don't even need the power part of the equation - diamond handpads are fantastic, as I've recently learned, and the only power they require is elbow grease. Also, Steve K suggested I try a loose abrasive, which I've done. Once I got up to about 400 with my diamond discs on an air tool, I used loose 600 grit silicon carbide to acheive a buttery soft surface that remains matte. (Very beautiful finish, btw - thanks Steve!!)

I know you don't really feel comfortable experimenting, Kathie, without having taken a class :lol: but don't be afraid to play around a little bit. Nothing bad is going to happen - you're just going to learn what works and what doesn't. Next time you're in town, stop by here and we'll go through some of it together -- the blind leading the blind 8)

Hope this helps some - it really is the most basic information, but for right now, that's all I know too.

Take care,
Jackie
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Thanks so much for all your info Jackie. Where I'm at right now in the big pic, (just moved into a new house and don't have a studio yet) is that I got my system from PhotoBrasive and just dug out my sandblaster which I have never used. I looked around for courses in the Calgary area for coldworking - sandblasting, but haven't been successful yet. Tony has been great in saying that he would help me get set up over the net so that's awesome (which reminds me that I should write him). At the conference Tony said that there is someone in Santa Fe that is awesome with a sandblaster, so I should check that out too. As I have a sandblaster, what type of airtools are you talking about?? Anyways, keep up the awesome work ( I am so envious) and hope you have a great winter in the desert. P.S.: Thanks for the invite and will definitely look you up when I get down there again. Missed you at this years conference.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

As I have a sandblaster, what type of airtools are you talking about??
OK, Kathie, lets see here. . . I have a little air grinder that I got at Harbor Freight. I use that with equally little diamond wheels, also from Harbor Freight. I have an air buffer that my husband used to use (till I stole it) for auto restoration projects. (He has others I have my eye on as well) On the buffer I use a backer pad and diamond discs that I got at Granite City Tools.

But my point was, in many circumstances, one can make use of tools they have on hand or that can be purchased less expensively than those intended for coldworking glass. Once you know what it is you want to do to the glass, (grind it, carve it, polish it, etc.) and you understand the basic way to acheive that, (water + abrasive) then you need to experiment a little bit.

I don't think it's vital for you to take a class right away. You've taken so many wonderful classes already . . . way more than I have, I'm sure! Just play around a little with what you have learned. If you have a chance to see any coldworking done in action, I think that will help you a great deal. If you don't plan on being down this way soon, try to find someone locally who does some coldworking, just so you can atleast watch.

Good luck getting your studio put together -

Take care,
Jackie
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Well Jackie I just got off the phone with Cheers Bob and he filled me in. I had the definition of "cold working" all wrong. Now it's much clearer to me. I basically just want to get my edges of my plates to have a nice clean even finish. So the scope of "cold working" is much, much more than I was thinking. Your last note also helps makes it clearer to me. Bob has been nice enough to invite me over so I can watch him and then suggest what tools I need to buy for just the edge problem. I will think about all the other tools (that you are using) at a later stage. Are you ever going to come our way????
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle