Joseph's Pride

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jackie Beckman

Joseph's Pride

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Some new pictures to flip through . . .

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 25a0d30524
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Stunning work Jackie! Your presentation, colors, detail, etc. is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your photos. I'm sure those were someone else's arms doing the hardware, lol. Patty
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Patty Gray wrote:Stunning work Jackie! Your presentation, colors, detail, etc. is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your photos. I'm sure those were someone else's arms doing the hardware, lol. Patty
Did I forget to wax my arms again? Darn! No, actually Patty, I can't be trusted with any sort of measuring devise . . .
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Wow, Jackie! What a gorgeous grouping. Wish I could see them in person to see all of the individual textures and finishes, I love the look of the wheel carving.

Is the black around each square a frame or glass?

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Fabulous Jackie! Absolutely fabulous!

Avery
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Jackie, I am drooling! That is such a beautiful composition. And i love the title. How apropos. I have often thought of Joseph's coat when looking at your work.

Congratulations.

barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

wow

absolutely wonderful

- Paul
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Lisa Allen wrote:Wow, Jackie! What a gorgeous grouping. Wish I could see them in person to see all of the individual textures and finishes, I love the look of the wheel carving.

Is the black around each square a frame or glass?

Lisa
Hi Lisa - The black around each square is glass. The wheel carving is fun, but you can't imagine the sludge you get covered with doing it!!
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Barbara Muth wrote:Jackie, I am drooling! That is such a beautiful composition. And i love the title. How apropos. I have often thought of Joseph's coat when looking at your work.

Congratulations.

barbara
Thanks Barbara. It's really funny how titles come about, isn't it? I was looking at it, thinking I wish I had a long duster that looked like the piece to wear over a long black tight turtleneck dress. Then I thought, "oh, like Joseph" - Later I was thinking, I wish my Dad was still alive - he'd be really proud (he was even proud of crayons on the wall - so I'm sure he'd have liked this) His name was Joseph. So - that's how that happened. I think it's fitting.

J
Ann Demko

Joseph's coat

Post by Ann Demko »

Jackie, I am overwhelmed at the beauty of this piece. It is soooo wonderful. I was also touched by the refernce to your father. I too think of my parents and am particularly proud of pieces I think they would have enjoyed. We are fortunate to have had parents that were supportive. AnnD
Dani

Re: Joseph's Pride

Post by Dani »

Jackie Beckman wrote:Some new pictures to flip through . . .

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 25a0d30524
Simply gorgeous.... and I do see an outfit to match. Both would be just my style, too. As an aside, I don't see too many Chinese knock-offs of this work anytime soon. Too much work! That's the best way to avoid competition in this day and age. :lol: Do something worthy that takes some real effort.
Sherry Salito-Forsen

Joseph's Pride

Post by Sherry Salito-Forsen »

Jackie,
They are awesome, I always enjoy seeing your work!!!Love you use of color.
Sherry Salito-Forsen
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Jackie,

Just beautiful. It is so fun to see how your work is evolving. These are divine individually and as an assemblage.

Can you tell me what you mean by wheel carved? I can't see the different textures on my ordinator...I would love to touch them. I bet they're deliscious.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Cynthia wrote:Jackie,

Just beautiful. It is so fun to see how your work is evolving. These are divine individually and as an assemblage.

Can you tell me what you mean by wheel carved? I can't see the different textures on my ordinator...I would love to touch them. I bet they're deliscious.
Well Cynthia, maybe I can describe it better. I used a diamond "V" wheel to carve the surface of the glass. It sort of gives the texture of wood grain, or bamboo, or a reedy sort of grass. I have another wheel that is flat and wider, and that one gives a different texture. It is hard to see in the photographs, but the surface of those carved pieces is very bumpy and textured - Does that help any? They truly are fun to touch - especially the soft, silky, buttery ones - you just want to rub your cheek against them.
The Hobbyist

Very beautiful

Post by The Hobbyist »

Jackie,

Congratulations on creating another beautiful work, individually and as an assembly. You get better and better with each venture.

An easy question: How is the individual piece mounted to its standoff?

Jim
Jackie Beckman

Re: Very beautiful

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jim Wolverton wrote:Jackie,

Congratulations on creating another beautiful work, individually and as an assembly. You get better and better with each venture.

An easy question: How is the individual piece mounted to its standoff?

Jim
Thanks Jim - I've had lots of emails about the hardware - reminds me of the time I spent a month making magnets for the first exchange and Ron Coleman asked about the boxes I sent them in!!!!!! :wink:

Each panel requires two pieces of hardware. One gets screwed into the wall, the matching and slightly larger one gets mounted to the glass and slips over the one on the wall and held in place with a set screw. Does that sound clear? If not, let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Jackie
The Hobbyist

Reminds me...

Post by The Hobbyist »

Jackie,

That sounds exactly like the question Ron would ask. I am reminded of the Xmas mornings when the kids were very young. After opening their gifts they spent more time playing with the boxes than with the toys. Could've saved a lot of money by buying just empty toy boxes. haha

That's a clever arrangement, I like it. What are the black hardware items made of, where do you get them and how is the glass attached to its piece of hardware?

No more questions, I promise............................Jim
Jackie Beckman

Re: Reminds me...

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jim Wolverton wrote:Jackie,

That sounds exactly like the question Ron would ask. I am reminded of the Xmas mornings when the kids were very young. After opening their gifts they spent more time playing with the boxes than with the toys. Could've saved a lot of money by buying just empty toy boxes. haha

That's a clever arrangement, I like it. What are the black hardware items made of, where do you get them and how is the glass attached to its piece of hardware?

No more questions, I promise............................Jim

I'll bet Margot still would rather chew the bows than see the gift . . . That changes fast, doesn't it?!!

Well, lets see here - each piece of hardware is constructed of a length of steel square tube with a plate welded on the back and then drilled and powder-coated. You'll have to have them made, or make them yourself, if you are a welder. And I used silicone to mount the hardware to the glass, but I ground the surface of the glass as well as the hardware first for tooth. I drew a picture up after thinking about what it was exactly that I wanted for these pieces. If this arrangement works for you, fine, but you may find that as you think about your particular application, you may want to make changes to suit your particular piece. Let me know if you need any further description of them -
Take care,
J
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Well Cynthia, maybe I can describe it better. I used a diamond "V" wheel to carve the surface of the glass. It sort of gives the texture of wood grain, or bamboo, or a reedy sort of grass. I have another wheel that is flat and wider, and that one gives a different texture. It is hard to see in the photographs, but the surface of those carved pieces is very bumpy and textured - Does that help any? They truly are fun to touch - especially the soft, silky, buttery ones - you just want to rub your cheek against them.
That's what I wanted to hear. Oooh they sound so luscious. I've been enchanted by the textures and surface treatments I've seen on a lot of glass work lately. What you describe of the surface textures you are adding sounds like it would be a wonderful compliment to your visual texture of shape and color dancing about the pieces. Someday I hope to get a chance to see these, touch them (can I rub my cheek on them?), or similar work.

Keep it up kiddo. It's making me happy to see anyway. Thanks for sharing your info and pics.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Jackie Beckman wrote: I used a diamond "V" wheel to carve the surface of the glass. It sort of gives the texture of wood grain, or bamboo, or a reedy sort of grass. I have another wheel that is flat and wider, and that one gives a different texture. It is hard to see in the photographs, but the surface of those carved pieces is very bumpy and textured - Does that help any? They truly are fun to touch - especially the soft, silky, buttery ones - you just want to rub your cheek against them.
Jackie,

Do you have your V-wheel on a fixed arbor (a glass lathe) or are you using it on a portable grinder?

Tony (who also appreciated your pillow boxes)
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun