New PMC Piece

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

GlassOrchid

New PMC Piece

Post by GlassOrchid »

Here is a new Pmc/dichro piece I'm pretty happy with. I still have to patina the piece but wanted to share and had a minute....

~Nan

dee

Re: New PMC Piece

Post by dee »

GlassOrchid wrote:Here is a new Pmc/dichro piece I'm pretty happy with. I still have to patina the piece but wanted to share and had a minute....

~Nan

VERY nice :D

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Alice DeGraff

Post by Alice DeGraff »

LOVE IT... Alice De
Zane
Location: moved to Illinois (not Chicago) in 2006 from Wisconsin

Post by Zane »

Very, very nice! Thanks for sharing the picture.

Zane
quill

Post by quill »

Beautiful! Do you fire your PMC in the same kiln you fuse in?
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

OK, what does PMC mean?
Dani

Post by Dani »

Precious Metal Clay and the possibilities with this stuff are endless. Even serious fine art jewelers are starting to look at the stuff's creative potential. Lots of info out there.... magazines, books, support groups! :wink:
Kay

PMC

Post by Kay »

Would you suggest a book on the use of PMC. Have just ordered some and am afraid to use it. Am I just cheap? :roll:
Kay
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Dee,

It's gorgeous. I've been wanting to try some PMC, but haven't gotten
up the nerve, yet. I'd like to take a class on using it.

How long have you been using it?

Nita
Dani

Post by Dani »

Well, I know I posted a reply earlier to check Tim McCreight's books, but it's disappeared. Rio Grande carries all his books and I think maybe videos, too. The most prestigious cutting edge artists are starting to play with this stuff.... endless possibilities. :idea:
Robyn Alexander

Re: PMC

Post by Robyn Alexander »

ellen abbott wrote:OK, what does PMC mean?
Developed by Mitsubishi Materials in Japan, Precious Metal Clay (PMC) is powder-sized particles of fine silver suspended in a non-toxic organic binder and water. PMC is worked like clay to produce uniquely textured surfaces. It is dried then kiln-fired at high temperatures, allowing the metal particles to sinter/fuse while the binder and moisture burn away. The result is pure silver -- light, durable and beautiful. Jewelry made from PMC is often described as fine silver or marked FS .999 -- indicating a higher silver content than sterling which is .925.

Art Clay Silver (ACS) is a similar product developed by Aida Chemical Industries in Japan. Both offer 22k gold clay as well, though cost makes it prohibitive for most. Both ACS and PMC were introduced in Japan in the early 90's, and in the US around 1997.

If you would like to get a glimpse of what is possibe, take a look at the website of Hadar Jacobson at http://www.artinsilver.com . She was a professional silversmith for over a decade and now works & teaches exclusively in PMC. Her work is stunning. Be sure to click on any image for closeups.
Kay wrote:Would you suggest a book on the use of PMC. Have just ordered some and am afraid to use it. Am I just cheap? :roll:
Kay
It has been almost 4 years since Tim McCreight's book was actually written and a lot has happened, including the introduction of versions of PMC which fire at lower temperatures and offer less shrinkage. Cece Wire published a new book earlier this year. Both are generally available through Amazon.com and Rio Grande.
  • Tim McCreight - "Working with Precious Metal Clay" (2000)
  • Cece Wire - "Creative Metal Clay Jewelry: Techniques, Projects, Inspiration" (2003)
For more information on PMC, including availability, possibilities and classes, go to http://www.pmcguild.com .
For info on ACS, see http://www.artclayworld.com .

NOTE: The July-August 2003 issue of Glass Art includes several profiles of artists working with PMC and glass.

To answer the obvious, yes, I work in PMC and am a certified PMC instructor. Being new to the wonders of fusing glass, this board has proved to be invaluable .... it's nice to return the favor by sharing a bit of what I know.
quill

Post by quill »

Wow, That is a lot of info! Thanks so much Derry!
dee

Post by dee »

Bonita (Nita) Crawford wrote:Dee,

It's gorgeous. I've been wanting to try some PMC, but haven't gotten
up the nerve, yet. I'd like to take a class on using it.

How long have you been using it?

Nita
nita - nancy tang did the piece - wish i could take credit ;) i've only played with it a tad... and i think nancy teaches it - check out her website...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Kay

PMC

Post by Kay »

Thanks much Derry!
Kay