fusing project photos - comments welcomed!

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Carolina Cricket

fusing project photos - comments welcomed!

Post by Carolina Cricket »

Altho I have worked in stained glass (cold) since 1990, my fusing experience has been limited. I was intrigued by the BE technical bulletin about using the thick kiln fiber paper for making a casting mold. Here are 3 photos of my first attempt with such a mold. It has NOT been fired yet so I am hoping that you glassers with more experience will comment. I used a double rolled BE amber glass for background. Then a thin purplish/blue (alto it appears brown in the photos) for the butterfly wings and body. It is see through when held up to light and has an irid coating. I then used rods and stringers and bits of glass to finish the design. I didn't have access to clear frit to fill in the spaces between the wings and the body so I used clear amber stringer. Comments? Suggestions?

Photos are at:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cricke ... g+projects

Cricket in Carolina
Lisa W.

Post by Lisa W. »

You can cut fiber for me anytime. Great work.What do plan on doing with it after you fuse? Hang? I just wonder if the single layer of gold will pull in when you fuse. Keep us posted I am kooking forward to the finished piece.
Lisa w
twinkler2

Wow

Post by twinkler2 »

Great cutting :) I can't wait to see your final project and what your going to do with it

Me Kim
Carolina Cricket

Thanks for your comments regarding butterfly kiln casting

Post by Carolina Cricket »

Thanks for your comments. My plan is to fuse it first, then slump onto the "mold." After that, I plan to incorporate it into a stained glass panel. I rescue and raise the eastern black swallowtail butterflies you saw in the model photos (they are the little green caterpillars on your parsley...less than 20 % of them reach butterfly status due to natural predators. I rescue them, continue feeding them until they pupate...then release them when they "eclose.") and would really like to capture their beauty in glass if I can. I will try to follow up with a results post.

Cricket in Carolina (NC)
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i like those butterflys also. i always plant extra parsly for them. what other plants do they favor? rosanna
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

rosanna gusler wrote:i like those butterflys also. i always plant extra parsly for them. what other plants do they favor? rosanna
Fennel, which is related to carrots.
SAReed

Post by SAReed »

If it's not too late, or too much trouble, I would like to see pictures of each stage (fuse, slump, stained glass). It looks like it's going to be a beautiful work of art!
Stacey
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Nice work Carolina, you have a lot of patience.

I was admiring a ladys' work just yesterday, similar technique.

She makes tropical fish figures using translucent glass and then copper foil technique to make them into lamps.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Carole Burton

Post by Carole Burton »

WOW your fiber cutting is remarkable. I will take any of your "leftovers".

I have rescued many "critters" in my day but have never done the butterfly rescue. The first thing I will plant next year will be alot of parsley. How exciting it must be to see the baby butters.

Looking forward to seeing the finished butterfly glass project. Don't forget to post it when finished. Keep up the great work.

Carole in Carolina (SC) =D> =D> =D>