Yesterdays Pot Melt

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Randy W

Yesterdays Pot Melt

Post by Randy W »

http://users.wi.net/~magnum/Melt/PotDrop.JPG
Here is a picture of yesterdays pot melt experiment. (The small disk is the bottom of the flo :D wer pot.) I'm very happy with the results but a bit confused. I started out with all transparent glass and it came out opaque. I used Spectrum fusible glass, transparent Red, Orange, Yellow and some clear. Also 5 small strips of black. I took it up to 1625° and held for about a half hour. Why did the transparency of the glass change?

I also got a few bubbles, the largest being 1/4".
http://users.wi.net/~magnum/Melt/CloseUp.JPG
They popped and have very sharp edges. What would be the best way to deal with them. Should I put the piece back in and cook them out? Or fill them with clear frit and re-fire?

Here are some interesting facts. I started out with 3.4 pounds of glass. It made a 12-1/2" (almost round) diameter piece that weighs an even 3 pounds. I weighed the pot before and after and the remaining 4 ounces of glass is now permenently part of the pot. I applied 12 coats of kiln wash and all 12 layers stuck to the bottom of the piece but luckly came off with the help of an S.O.S. pad and some elbow grease.

Randy
Last edited by Randy W on Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Randy--- did you jiggle the pot to get the rippled look?
Or were you looking for a smoother look?
:)
Cliff Ross
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

I didn't jiggle the pot, the glass just came out that way. I believe it has to do with how the glass is placed in the pot. I have one cooking in the kiln right now. I took a peek and it appears to have the same ripple effect. I took a before pic of how I stacked the pieces. I'll post it tomorrow.

Randy
Kitty

pot melt pix

Post by Kitty »

boy, randy, i like the looks of that big disk. very handsome. makes me want to try one myself. kitty.
Terry Ow-Wing

Re: Yesterdays Pot Melt

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

:roll: I'm guessing the added black put the opaqueness into the glass. As for the bubbles did they form between the bottom of the glass plate and shelf - maybe the kiln wash was too thick. Too thick and cause large bubbles - but yours are small so maybe the kiln is too hot for spectrum? I only work with Bullseye so I'm kind of guessing. Great pic and thanks -

-Terry Ow-Wing

...I used Spectrum fusible glass, transparent Red, Orange, Yellow and some clear. Also 5 small strips of black. I took it up to 1625° and held for about a half hour. Why did the transparency of the glass change?

I also got a few bubbles, the largest being 1/4".
http://users.wi.net/~magnum/Melt/CloseUp.JPG
They popped and have very sharp edges. What would be the best way to deal with them. Should I put the piece back in and cook them out? Or fill them with clear frit and re-fire?

Here are some interesting facts. I started out with 3.4 pounds of glass. It made a 12-1/2" (almost round) diameter piece that weighs an even 3 pounds. I weighed the pot before and after and the remaining 4 ounces of glass is now permenently part of the pot. I applied 12 coats of kiln wash and all 12 layers stuck to the bottom of the piece but luckly came off with the help of an S.O.S. pad and some elbow grease.

Randy[/quote]
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

That is so cool! Is the pot a one-time use only? Did you get any devit?

What was your firing schedule?

I can't wait to see more!!
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

The pots are a one time use, but you can pick up a 6" pot for about .60 cents a piece.
I didn't get any devit.
I heated as fast as possible to 1625°, held for an hour, crash cooled to 1100° then annealed and usual for a 1/4" thick piece.

Have fun.
Randy
Riverviewglass

Post by Riverviewglass »

:D WOW! so cool! Love the look and the texture of the larger piece! the small one is also very neat - can you explain more of the procedure?? Kim K
Jerry

Pot Melt

Post by Jerry »

Spectrum red transparent tends to go opaque at these temps. I do a lot of raking and have the same trouble. Interesting use of yellow and black to get olive green; that works in water colors too.

I've been doing pot melts as a casting medium into plaster/silica molds for a long time and have mixed colors by layering them. I like your work better and, as soon as I get a free kiln, I'll fire one up and see if I can even approach something as lovely as yours.

NICE WORK

Jerry
Licha Ochoa Nicholson

Post by Licha Ochoa Nicholson »

Hi Randy,
I just got around to looking at some pictures and I really like your "pot melt" technique. I don't think I'm quite familiar with that technique so can you tell me what you're doing? I did read that you're using a 6" pot - then what?

Thanks,
Licha