walpole stain on float

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Don Burt

walpole stain on float

Post by Don Burt »

In contrast to the pic posted earlier, Cliff Oester's Old Walpole stain on unblasted float kicks ass. Bug body gold color is silver stain:

Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Don, nice design on the circle. They would make a spectacular transom. I have a question about that piece and this one.
Do you test for tin side on your float to see which side to put the SS? I've heard non-tin side will take SS better. What's the buzzzzz?
Bert Weiss

Re: walpole stain on float

Post by Bert Weiss »

Don Burt wrote:In contrast to the pic posted earlier, Cliff Oester's Old Walpole stain on unblasted float kicks ass. Bug body gold color is silver stain:

Old Walpole beats any stain available from Ruesche by a long shot.

I once made my own silver stain. That was interesting. First you dissolve fine silver in nitric acid by adding water to acid (whichever way is was it was the way you are not supposed to mix acid and water). The silver dissolves and you add salt until the silver nitrate percipitates out. then you drain out the acid and rinse with water until the salt is cleaned out. The remaining nuggets are silver nitrate. The commercial stains are mixed with gamboge gum which of course nobody ever heard of. I believe I mixed mine with some kaolin or porcelian fine white clay and it worked pretty slick.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Becca wrote:Don, nice design on the circle. They would make a spectacular transom. I have a question about that piece and this one.
Do you test for tin side on your float to see which side to put the SS? I've heard non-tin side will take SS better. What's the buzzzzz?
I don't know anything about how stain works on tin side vs. non. I should throw a test of that in the kiln next time.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i use silver leaf with float. the leaf is so thin that it pretty much goes away and just the stain remains. it makes a difference. hard to describe but really there. more opaque for one thing and not as bright a yellow. rosanna
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

Where can I get some of this stain that I am reading about?
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Michael McNerney wrote:Where can I get some of this stain that I am reading about?
From warmglass archives:

ceoster@aol.com and asking if you can buy a half-pound of 'Ancient Walpole Silver Stain' or 'Ancient Winchester Silver Stain'. His address is:

C.E Oster

RR1 Box 130B

Alstead NH 03602

603 835 6235
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Don Burt wrote:
Becca wrote:Clip
I have a question about that piece and this one.
I don't know anything about how stain works on tin side vs. non. I should throw a test of that in the kiln next time.
It made a big difference in the test I did. I cut a scrap of 1/4 float in half and painted opposite sides with what I think was fairly identical applications. One side came out stronger.

Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Wow! That is a big difference. Is that the same Reusche as on your medallion?
ps- took ya long enough :lol: JK
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Becca wrote:Wow! That is a big difference. Is that the same Reusche as on your medallion?

No its Ancient Walpole stain

ps- took ya long enough :lol: JK

my kiln isn't good for testing...have to test when there's similar work in there. Progress is made slowly in my studio.