courtyard gate

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

charlie

courtyard gate

Post by charlie »

i commissioned a steel artist to make a gate for my front courtyard. i had him design in various holes that i filled with mostly dichroic glass tiles. after dealing with slow artists (like that never happened to me), i've finally gotten it finished.

the tiles are on the top, and consist of 42 with clearcaped dichro, and a pair of center medallions of dichro on black, slumped over the bottom of a wok to make a convex surface. the bottom of the gate is woven copper strips.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

That is cool Charlie. Can we have detail shots?

Is that a carved pumpkin?
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Charlie, that's really beautiful, a great combination. Do you have close up shots? How did you adhere the glass?

Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
charlie

Post by charlie »

Don Burt wrote:That is cool Charlie. Can we have detail shots?

Is that a carved pumpkin?
i'll try to get some more in the coming days.

it's a hollow ceramic pumpkin. i put a candle in it, but could just put it over a light just as well. good forever, doesn't rot or smell, and i can just put it away in the garage for the 11 months of the year i don't need it.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Leslie Ihde wrote:Charlie, that's really beautiful, a great combination. Do you have close up shots? How did you adhere the glass?

Leslie
i'll get some soonly.

i cut a piece of 1/4" float glass to fit in the hole, and used clear silicone glue on both sides of that to hold the tiles on. the tiles are 1/4" larger than the holes.

the center slumped sections were done the same way, except i used a few pieces of 1/4" float to build up the center section to reach the back of the inside surface.
pclark

Nice

Post by pclark »

I like that Charlie, I noticed a lot of gates on entry ways of large houses on my long drive to Fredricksburg Texas (Lots of country driving) about a month ago that had the nice cut out designs on them. The glass really makes it stand out. It looks great.
dee

Re: courtyard gate

Post by dee »

charlie wrote:i commissioned a steel artist to make a gate for my front courtyard. i had him design in various holes that i filled with mostly dichroic glass tiles. after dealing with slow artists (like that never happened to me), i've finally gotten it finished.

the tiles are on the top, and consist of 42 with clearcaped dichro, and a pair of center medallions of dichro on black, slumped over the bottom of a wok to make a convex surface. the bottom of the gate is woven copper strips.
pretty damn kewl charlie! ;)) now for the closeups ;)
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

LOVE it! I can hardly wait to see close-ups!
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

What a stunning entrance! =D> Excellent work.
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Charlie,

The gate looks great! How are you attaching the tiles to the gate?

Susan
charlie

Post by charlie »

Susan Moore wrote:Charlie,

The gate looks great! How are you attaching the tiles to the gate?

Susan
here's a closeup. the colors of the dichro change depending upon the light. this was taken near sunset.

the tiles are attached with silicone to a sandwiched backing piece of float.
slats

back pic

Post by slats »

could you post a pic of the other side of the gate....interested in seeing how you assembled this
charlie

Re: back pic

Post by charlie »

doctac wrote:could you post a pic of the other side of the gate....interested in seeing how you assembled this
it looks identical. hold up your monitor to a mirror and it would be the same. :)

i basically made twice as many tiles, and then cut float tiles to fit the holes. the tiles are 1/4" larger than the holes. chose the thickness of the float to be the same, or just a hair thinner than the door. silicone the float piece to the back of one tile, have swmbo hold that up on one side, goop up the back of the other tile, and smoosh them together. tape and let sit for 24 hours.
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Charlie,

Thx for the close up, now we can see your glass too! I like the colours you chose and I like the way you incorporated the gate design into your glass design on the medallions.

Susan
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Fun Charlie

Ain't ahht great and ain't it great to have some for yourself.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

=D> Hi Charlie, it's Steve's wife Eileen! Wow! I love it. Great work. I bet it is beautiful when the sun shines on it.

Happy Turkey Day.
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Charlie: I love it!!!! One of the reasons that I love Arizona is that the architecture has its own personality. There are not that many places where you can go and enjoy an adobe home with cactus in the yard and a beutiful iron and glass gate. Good for you...
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Cheryl

wow!

Post by Cheryl »

That would make me happy every time I came home. What was it like collaborating with the metal worker? Did s/he basically just cut your design, or was there more to it?

love it. lucky for you it would look odd in MD....
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Cool gate but cool house too! Do you have any pictures of the whole place?--I'd love to see it. Its like the complete opposite of here! Maybe I'll dig out a photo of our place....
Amy
charlie

Re: wow!

Post by charlie »

Cheryl wrote:That would make me happy every time I came home. What was it like collaborating with the metal worker? Did s/he basically just cut your design, or was there more to it?

love it. lucky for you it would look odd in MD....
it was....different.

we interviewed 4 different companies for a gate, looking at design books, a bunch of proposals, getting bids, etc, and didn't really feel that they were listening to us very well. my wife happened to be in the local coffee shop getting her usual mocha cocoa lowfat latte whatever and was overheard by another patron when discussing it with the counter dude. they said 'oh, you ought to talk to gordon' who happened to be the ex-president of the sonoran arts league (http://www.sonoranartsleague.org/). we called him up, he came over, did some rough measurements and went away. he came back with some sketches. we had our input into some changes, he then came back a few weeks later with a full sized design on paper that we liked, so signed a contract for it.

being an artist, he then promptly forgot about us. :) every couple of weeks we'd call and leave a msg for him; he'd call back and give us a status report of what's been accomplished so far. it took about 2 months to get it done and installed. since the holes weren't exactly the same size and shape, i couldn't start my part, although i had made a bunch of testers and ordered all the material already. it took about 2 weeks before i could produce the tiles and install them. he still hasn't come back to take pictures for his portfolio although we've run into him at various art functions around town.

i have a painter friend in tucson with the same malady. even his wife says that 'tom does things on tom-time, not normal time'.