Newbie photo debut - cabs & pendants

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Susan Moore

Newbie photo debut - cabs & pendants

Post by Susan Moore »

I invite your comments, critiques, questions.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/101 ... 6558QVZuSI

Susan
Last edited by Susan Moore on Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dee

Re: Newbie photo debut - cabs & pendants

Post by dee »

Susan Moore wrote:I invite your comments, critiques, questions.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/e ... ity=QVZuSI

Susan
susan, that link doesn't work - since i don't use these web photo places i don't know the solution either ;P
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

you have to adjust it for public viewing.
it says i'm not the owner of the album.
SherNE

Post by SherNE »

try this:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/101 ... 6558QVZuSI

Check this address against the one you posted. It might help to find the right address if you go in through the door your viewers use, like the album name, then go to the picture you want, copy that url.

Fun with frit cabs, nice. I especially like the pink and amber sets.

Sher
Sher
dee

Re: Newbie photo debut - cabs & pendants

Post by dee »

Susan Moore wrote:I invite your comments, critiques, questions.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/e ... ity=QVZuSI

Susan
hi susan, interesting look with the opaque colors, circles are quite uniform. only problem is the photos are mostly out of focus ;P glass is good at confusing cameras with autofocus
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

I did an edit to initial post to include the proper address, thx Sher.

Dee, yes I do have problems with my auto-focus. I don't think I can override the auto-focus feature on my camera. It's probably better to incude only one item per photo.

Susan
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

I'm impressed with how perfectly round you got your cabs. How did you do that? Lynn
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Lynn,

When I use frit I pile it up in a roundish shape and fire it to full fuse or beyond; shape it by cutting or grinding; fire again; repeat if necessary; final grinding and fire polish. When using layers of glass I cut squares, nip the corners off (sometimes), fire to full fuse and it turns out oval or rounded - grind the final shape (I do like grinding) and fire polish.

Susan
mpg

Post by mpg »

Hi Susan,

Beautiful cabs -- I like the color choices! Can I ask how do you achieve the swirly patterns (such as in the left piece in the pink, mauve & black combo)? Are these made by piling frit and firing for a long time? I'm just starting out, too :)

Thanks!
Michelle
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Michelle - I obtained the swirl-a-licious pattern by firing at higher temp - set my little Evenheat hotbox to high and let it go to around 1700 and hold until it looks done. I chop 'em up & fire again, repeat until I decide it's done - sometimes add more frit as well.

Susan
suzmary

Post by suzmary »

Susan, your cabs are wonderful. I am just starting out, too, and have been making some cabs by experimentation with gold, silver & copper leaf. It gives a nice effect, very unpredictable, which I love. I wanted to post pictures here (I hope these talented folks don't mind another newbie looking for their critique, but everyone here is so nice). I understand I have to use a service like Webshots, since my photos aren't linked to a page. Is it difficult to set up? By the way, I like the amber ones. Did you use clear dichro upside down? Every time I try a cab with dichro, it comes out looking like some bad 70's piece my grandmother used to make me wear from the flea market. I can't seem to get the technique right. I'll keep firing up the quikfire marshmellow until Santa sees fit to deliver me a bigger kiln. Great work, Susan. Keep it up, you're inspiring me to keep going.

By the way, are those sterling bails, and how did you adhere them? I think I need some of that E6000.
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." Theodore Roosevelt
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Thx Suzmary,

I would like to see some of your cabs with the copper leaf etc, I have never tried it. Webshots is really easy to set up.

The amber is clear fibroid dichro sandwiched between BE amber. I like to try and subdue the flashiness of the dichro sometimes. The bails are just base metal but I have also used sterling on other pendants. The base metal bails are made by Aanraku, you can find a retailer on their website http://www.bayareastainedglass.com/aanrakuHardware.htm

Keep experimenting! One of things that I find so appealing about working with glass is that the possibilities are endless.

Susan
suzmary

Post by suzmary »

Hello, again. I have been trying all day to set up Webshots. I really thought I was a reasonably intelligent adult, but I just can't seem to get this thing figured out. Anyway, I'll have my hubby the computer guru set it up when he gets home, and I'll post the pics later. Thanks for the other info., too. I have actually been bidding on some silver cabs on ebay that are not the best, listed as "irregular", but they have great sterling bales attached. I also found some great ones, as well as other silver findings, on jewelweaver.com (sp.?). Their prices are great, and they give a pretty good discount with no minimum orders. Wonderful for me, who is always "finding" funds for my glass work. Anyway, I hope to have pics later today.

:?
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." Theodore Roosevelt
molly

Post by molly »

suzmary: I personally use deadzoom, and if you only use them a little, it's free. Otherwise, it is just $5.00 each month. I use them for all my photo usage, and they are really great, IMHO. Here is their addy:

http://www.deadzoom.com

Good Luck! Can't wait to see those pics....
suzmary

Post by suzmary »

Ok, I think I've finally got it. I opened a page with MSN Users Group. I hope it works. I don't understand, I can amortize a mortgage, decipher my 7th grader's math homework, but I can't figure these photo web pages out $@@#$$%##%%^!!!

These pics are three really good black ones, in which the leafs reacted differently on all three, three black ones where the leaf almost disappears, and two awesome brown ones (IMHO) where the copper had a super effect. Copper leaf seems to do that, as you can see in smaller versions in the black ones, also. Please let me know what you think. I used be black & clear, and attached or adhered the leaf with, of all thinks, a little jar of Transparent Glass Paint in Yellow by Delta. This is the Air Dry PermEnamel paint they make. I had it around, it was closer at hand than the glue, and held the foil in place while I mashed it on with a regular cheapie paint brush.

Anyway, here is the link, I hope.

http://www.msnusers.com/suzmaryglass
suzmary

Post by suzmary »

IT WORKED!!!!!!! I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO IT!!! I HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO CREATE AN ALBUM, BUT IF YOU OPEN EACH PICTURE, AT LEAST THEY ARE THERE!

AND TO THINK, I ACTUALLY SPENT THREE HOURS LAST NIGHT WORKING MY WAY THROUGH THE DREAMWEAVER MX TUTORIALS TO LEARN HOW TO CREATE WEB SITES. AND I CAN, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, CREATE A SITE, PROBABLY MUCH EASIER THAN I CAN WITH THESE FREE PHOTO UPLOAD PROGRAMS! I FEEL LIKE A BOOB!

ALL WAS NOT FOR NAUGHT, HOWEVER. IF I LEARN MUCH MORE, MY HUSBAND CAN PUT ME TO WORK WITH HIM ON THE SITES HE DESIGNS FREELANCE, AND I CAN GET PAID!!! YEAH!!!

HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU ALL!
Judd

Post by Judd »

It worked for me. Cool stuff. It looked as if Black1 had the best effects of glass and copper, and the brown were as cool as you stated. Is the surface a gloss or matte finish, and will you wire-wrap them?

Judd
suzmary

Post by suzmary »

Hey, thanks Judd. I may wire wrap, or just glue a bale. The great black one may become a bolo for my friend who's very much southwest. They are gloss right now, but they need to be fire polished. As soon as I get a few more test runs in, I'll grind, then polish them final. I did some with different colors, and the effects were very different. I'll post some pics of those when I grind them.

Thanks again.

8)
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Suzmary,

Thx for sharing your photos. I couldn't see much in the 2 middle photos but the 1st and last photos show the copper leaf really well - I like the effect.

Susan