Would like feedback/suggestions on these potmelt cabs

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Rebecca M.

Would like feedback/suggestions on these potmelt cabs

Post by Rebecca M. »

I just finished drilling these this morning for a present I need for tonight. The present is the one that's finished with cord.
I was wondering what you all with experience thought of them. And since I haven't sold anything (yet), do they seem to have any saleability?
What it is is a potmelt sliced on the tilesaw, mirror images from the interior fused together, sliced again, ground to shape and fire polished. Kind of labor intensive, but not too bad.
Thanks in advance for any input, and Happy New Year!
ps-sorry about the picture quality, I have to work on that.

jim simmons

Re: Would like feedback/suggestions on these potmelt cabs

Post by jim simmons »

[quote="Becca"]I just finished drilling these this morning for a present I need for tonight. The present is the one that's finished with cord.

Hi Becca, I would like to know what you used on the ends of the cord as a fastener. Would you please share?
Thanks Jim
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Becca, they are positively psychadelic! Sell them to old hippies and hippie wannabes! I love them. No idea on price. Think about how much time and work went into them when you are figuring the price. Those are labor intensive pendants.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Becca:
I think they are great! I'd buy one too!!
Kim
pam l

Very snazzy! :D

Post by pam l »

Ditto on all the comments - so visually interesting and eye-catching.

pam l.
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Hi Becca, I like what you have done using the edge of the pot melt. I had thought of trying some that way but haven't had time to try it yet.
Here is a picture of some of my pot melt pendants.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/74dodg ... ndants.jpg

I make a pot melt, wait a day or two for it to break in half, them cut it with a tile saw. I cut them as close to the desired shape as I can with the saw, then grind them to the finished shape. I use borax spray then refire. I attach bails to the back of mine using E-6000. I sandblast the back of the pendant and rough up the bail, then glue. And it holds VERY well. But BOTH surfaces have to be rough.
I have been charging $15.00 each and they have been selling very well, especially before Christmas.
What are you using to drill the holes in yours?

Randy
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Wow, thanks everybody! :D I just got back from the family party and my niece loved hers. I'm happy when a 14 year old girl likes anything.
Jim, below is a pic (another bad one) showing the attachment. All the stuff is from Fire Mountain. The cord is the silky stuff, and the metal parts just get crimped with pliers with the cord laying in the groove. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be done or not, but it holds very well.
Randy, those pendants of yours are awesome! You got to use the top side of your potmelt. The top of the one I cut up was really ugly, all the good stuff was inside. I used a triple ripple bit from HIS Glassworks and a Dremel with drill press for the holes. I've used the bails with E6000 before, but had no time today for glue, I was late getting there as it was! Now I'm off to find some Grateful Dead holdbacks. :lol:

Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Good one Randy, I've made a couple as personal gifts by cutting, grinding and polishing. To re-fire on bulk certainly makes so much sense as it's much the same as what I do when I add them as elements into larger pieces. - haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Word of caution.

If you use those little crimp things on the ends of your cord, be sure to put a drop of glue (Elmer's is good) on the cord before crimping the fastener. I made several without putting the glue on them and they came loose.

Judy
SEMueller

Please...

Post by SEMueller »

What is potmelt? I love the pendants!

I've never heard of potmelt...but now I'm dying to know!

Suzanne
Suzanne
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Suzanne:
Oh pot melts are so much fun! if you do a search in the archives, there is so much information on how to do one.
Someone here did a great tutorial with pictures - can't find the link at the moment, but when I do I'll forward to you
Kim
SEMueller

Post by SEMueller »

OH Yeah! Thank you Kim, I will do that right now. I'll keep an eye open in case you find the link, too.

Suzanne
Suzanne