Marty - here's that texture . . .

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Tony: Thanks for the site. I took a look at it and it confused me??? Is that Marty's site and do you buy it from him or go to the list of distributors and buy from there??? If he is selling it, why does he say "List of Distributors"??? :?
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
gone

Post by gone »

Jackie Beckman wrote:
Cristi wrote:but what did you use to get that nifty texture?
thanks-cristi
You can get texture lots of ways Cristi: a punty grinder, diamond disc on an arbor, lathe, air tool or probably even a dremel if you are a very, very patient person.
This is similar to what I am working on, only I will be fusing face down on imprinted clay for the texture.
Dani

Re: Marty - here's that texture . . .

Post by Dani »

Jackie Beckman wrote:This is a link to the texture we talked about today. (Sorry Brad, for posting it here, but Marty's e-mail is down.) It's the first of three pieces that will be mounted to a single black powder-coated aluminum panel, each piece standing off the panel at least an inch to let light in.

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 46659b255a
That's totally cool.... we should have a Neo-Ethnic theme show. Maybe Firehouse will host one, what do you think? Get about ten artists who do ethnic-inspired works. I put together a show a few years ago based on the zig-zag motif and always wanted to have one using the "undulating" motif. Wouldn't that raise and eyebrow or two?! :wink:
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Tony: Thanks for the site. I took a look at it and it confused me??? Is that Marty's site and do you buy it from him or go to the list of distributors and buy from there??? If he is selling it, why does he say "List of Distributors"??? :?
Marty is the national distributor of the fabric and is selling it to other distributors and outlets. But he is also retailing it through Centre DeVerre. Click on his sponsor link above and look under new products.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

Kathy, I have something that WILL interest you right here in Calgary
agott@northernheat.ca
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

What is lava cloth made of? And is it reuseable?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Lynn Bishop wrote:What is lava cloth made of? And is it reuseable?
It's made of long silica fibers... similar to fiberglass cloth, but with a much higher melting temperature. I've been getting between 8 and 12 full-fuse (1480°) firings from one piece of cloth depending how careful I am with it.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Cher

Post by Cher »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Jackie: Your AMAZING me!!!! When I met you the first time in your studio, you were working with the stringers, etc. and told me that you had never cut glass and now look at your work!!!!!...... I AM SOOOO IMPRESSED (and green with envy). I may be coming out in June - can you set aside a day for me so I can watch what your doing??? Enjoy your warm weather - we're getting snow this weekend.
Your fan...... from the Great White North
to paraphrase Kathie, You're amazing Jackie! You have fantastic vision and follow-through. Love your art, may have to invite myself out there: I could use time in your sphere of influence not to mention the sun and 70's: it's 'sposed to get to -12 degrees f by 6 AM. Not used to this cold, even on the 45th parallel. BrrrrYo
another fan...... from the Great White frigid North
>^..^<
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

YoDuh wrote:
Kathie Karancz wrote:Jackie: Your AMAZING me!!!! When I met you the first time in your studio, you were working with the stringers, etc. and told me that you had never cut glass and now look at your work!!!!!...... I AM SOOOO IMPRESSED (and green with envy). I may be coming out in June - can you set aside a day for me so I can watch what your doing??? Enjoy your warm weather - we're getting snow this weekend.
Your fan...... from the Great White North
to paraphrase Kathie, You're amazing Jackie! You have fantastic vision and follow-through. Love your art, may have to invite myself out there: I could use time in your sphere of influence not to mention the sun and 70's: it's 'sposed to get to -12 degrees f by 6 AM. Not used to this cold, even on the 45th parallel. BrrrrYo
another fan...... from the Great White frigid North

I have a sphere of influence? Hmm, someone should probably take that away from me - it sounds like a ton of responsibility!

You're more than welcome, Yo, but I must caution you against coming in costume --

When Morgan was two, my husband and I were going to a Halloween costume party. I spent two (or more) hours decorating myself up like a leopard, and while I was held up in the bathroom painting myself up, Morgan would come check on me from time to time so she saw the progression. Wasn't afraid at all.

Roger, on the other hand, spent those couple hours running up to the store and grabbing whatever over-the-head mask they had left, and a full length black hooded cape. He put them on and wondered into the bathroom to see if I was done. Morgan was next to me watching, and when she saw him in the mirror she let out a howl like I've never heard before or since!

It was a "Yo-Duh" mask and she was positive there was a "mon-sto" in the potty. I swept her up and kept telling her, "No, honey- it's Daddy, it's Daddy!" "No! Mommy! Mon-Sto!!!" she insisted. I was frantically telling Roger to take off the mask, and telling Morgan it was a "mask" but a two year old doesn't understand "mask." Then it dawned on me what she would understand, so I said, "Not monster - Dolly. Daddy had a dolly on his face, that's all." He handed it to her and she examined it very closely. Then she put the ear in her mouth and chewed on it, then looked at it closely again, then tossed it back and said, "Yucky Dolly!" She kept the mask in her dolly crib with all the other dolls for at least two years, and it's name was always Yucky-Dolly" When she sees a commercial with Yoda she still says, "Look! There's Yucky Dolly!"

So - if you come visit, DON'T come in costume!!
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Jackie,
Your working is truly inspirational. I love the flow and movement and texture.
Karen
Karen Laing aka arcticlass
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I finally got the mounting for this piece back from the powder-coater and finished it up. I am bringing it in to have pictures taken by someone who knows what they're doing, but just out of curiousity, how could this piece be shot so that light comes through the transparent parts while the piece is on the wall? Any of you photo-folks know? Paul? Brian? Tony? Maybe it just needs to be shot with it not up on the wall so it can be lit from behind?

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 4ad0ca65ca

Jackie
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Jackie,

Great piece, Great presentation! I know you've heard it before but once more is always good for the ego.

Back lighting might be tricky because of the mounting bar. How about mounting the piece on the wall and shining a light along the wall (in addition to light(s) illuminating the front). Some light might come through from the back , perhaps by reflecting off the wall. You might want to put lights on either side, or from four corners around the piece to get even illumination.

Nice piece.

Cheers,

Bob
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Bob wrote:Hi Jackie,

Great piece, Great presentation! I know you've heard it before but once more is always good for the ego.

Back lighting might be tricky because of the mounting bar. How about mounting the piece on the wall and shining a light along the wall (in addition to light(s) illuminating the front). Some light might come through from the back , perhaps by reflecting off the wall. You might want to put lights on either side, or from four corners around the piece to get even illumination.

Nice piece.

Cheers,

Bob
Thanks Bob - nobody gets sick of hearing nice stuff. :) As for the photos, like I said, I happen to be bringing this one in to have it shot, but I'm not too familier with the photographer. He seems overly confident that he can do it (to the point of being irritating) and not letting me explain what difficulties I foresee. I was just working on a Plan B if what I think about him is correct. I can play around with more lights (evenly distributed) and so forth if he can't get it done right. Thank you for the pointers though, and keep your fingers crossed that I won't have to re-do it after him! :wink:

Jackie
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi again Jackie,

It might help if the photographer has a polaroid back for his camera, or a digital camera to get a preview of the impact of the lighting before committing to film.

Cheers,

Bob
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

I had one piece with a similar photographic problem. The only way I could get a representative photo was by placing it on a mirror.

http://www.clearwaterglass.com/Satin_Jewel.htm

You might want to experiment with placing a reflective surface of some sort behind it.

BTW Great piece Jackie.

Steve
Cher

Post by Cher »

>^..^<
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Well - the Yucky-Dolly one, of course.