Technique: Simple Lay Up Gives Depth

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dairy Queen

Technique: Simple Lay Up Gives Depth

Post by Dairy Queen »

This TECHNIQUE gives lots of DEPTH
(and it should be left in TECHNIQUES and not moved to photos)
There are a few tiny bubbles in the piece after the first firing. To eliminate bubbles entirely, use a chad.
Attachments
396122_395808983814573_830316162_n.jpg
554839_392584220803716_1263833283_n.jpg
Love and luck make a wonderful lifestyle.
Dairy Queen

Re: Technique: Simple Lay Up Gives Depth

Post by Dairy Queen »

Why has this posting been moved to photographs? It directly depicts a TECHNIQUE that I would like to share.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Possibly because it's photos of a fairly typical layered fusing layup with little or no explanation? And no, using a chad is not likely to eliminate bubbles "entirely" in a layup like this.

You would get more control over the final outcome (and the bubbles) if you fused the layers separately, then stacked and fused again.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Dairy Queen wrote:Why has this posting been moved to photographs? It directly depicts a TECHNIQUE that I would like to share.
Because the Photos and Stuff folder is where you share photos of your work. If this had been a photo of a novel technique or something really different and innovative, I might have left it in the technique folder. But even then the Technique and Tools forum is more for asking questions about techniques and tools, while the Photos forum is where you share photos of pieces you've made or processes you want to share.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Dairy Queen wrote:Why has this posting been moved to photographs? It directly depicts a TECHNIQUE that I would like to share.
This isn't really a TECHNIQUE; at this point, it's fairly common usage- layering, leaving clear in between to get depth. I understand that you think you discovered it but you just don't get out enough. Many of us have "discovered" techniques only to find that others, sometimes many older others (Klaus? the Romans?!) got there first.
BTW how did your mosaics work out? THAT was promising!
Dairy Queen

Post by Dairy Queen »

Marty,

Many Warm Glass readers have followed me on Facebook, and requested I post techniques on Warm Glass. They have never seen simple layering before. I am not posting for the old dog, or the fossils. I will never do anything to impress the old guard. I am posting for new folks, who have never heard of layering, or other simple techniques.

I posted the results of my mosaics. Did you not see them here on Warm Glass? Were they bumped to a different category?

I am feeling less than welcome here in the land of the warm.

Rose Hawley
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I wonder where Cynthia would suggest you place a CHAD???? :shock:
"The Glassman"
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Dairy Queen wrote:Marty,

Many Warm Glass readers have followed me on Facebook, and requested I post techniques on Warm Glass. They have never seen simple layering before. I am not posting for the old dog, or the fossils. I will never do anything to impress the old guard. I am posting for new folks, who have never heard of layering, or other simple techniques.

I posted the results of my mosaics. Did you not see them here on Warm Glass? Were they bumped to a different category?

I am feeling less than welcome here in the land of the warm.

Rose Hawley
It's the "new folks" I'm concerned about. What you're showing in these photos is what every new glass enthusiast, including me, does in the first few times they flat-fuse something in the kiln, i.e., they stack a bunch of glass and chunks in the kiln then nuke the heck out of it to see what happens. What they pretty quickly learn is that it's a great way to make bubbles, the chunks spread a lot more than they'd imagine and the different colors start moving up and down in the glass. Nothing wrong with that...but you're presenting it as a valuable technique they should learn, with absolutely no additional information about what's going on or why, or the fact that there are better ways to do the same thing.

I liked your mosaics and wish you'd do more of them. But having a tantrum all over the board because your photos were moved is just a little bit silly. Brad's right, and it's his board. Let it go.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)